Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 07-15-2000, 04:15 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

My 36 fits through all my gated yards. Alot og guys around here have 48's and they need to get them through a 40 inch gate so 2 guys lift one side up and push it through.... i dont think you can do this alone!
Old 07-15-2000, 04:43 PM
LawnSite Member

thats where a hydro comes inhandy
Old 07-15-2000, 07:46 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

I have a Hydro, and most backyards I service have gates 36&quot; or less. I can't tip the darn thing by myself so I'll have to use my 21 in backyards until I either a) begin to hire labor service, or b) invest in a 32&quot; machine for use in backyards. <p>Both are possibilities within the year. <p>-TGC
Old 07-15-2000, 11:10 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

get an ols used 32 incher... theres was 2 of them at tradin times for 350 each... even has pictures of them and they look to be in good condition.
Old 07-15-2000, 11:29 PM
LawnSite Platinum Member

You&quot;ll be an expert with that machine in a couple weeks. Two years from now you&quot;ll be looking at ztr's and your wife will wonder were its going to end.
Old 07-16-2000, 04:15 AM
LawnSite Silver Member

TGC, I know I posted this somewhere before, I just can't remember where but why not install a wider gate if this is a steady customer of yours. Its cheaper then a new mower!! Try to work something out with the customer where you'll donate your labor if they pay for the materials. Its a lot safer than tipping a machine too!! Hope it all works out, sounds like your on track!<p><p>----------<br>&lt;a href=&quot;http://communities.msn.com/guidosequipmentpics/&quot;&gt;&quot;Guido&quot;&lt;/a&gt;<br>David M. Famiglietti
Old 07-16-2000, 11:09 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

Ah, Guido, that might be a possibility down the road as well. As you know, I don't get enough $$$ from the customers I have now to offer *anyone* a free service like a gate upgrade or a pulled weed at this point, but as the new pricing plan continues to go into effect I might just offer that sort of thing to the lucky customers who stick around with Cummings Lawn and Garden for the long haul.<p>(How was that for a run-on sentence?)<p>For now, I'll use that 21&quot; and start considering the purchase of a 32&quot; as early as next spring. <p>Or, heck, I might just let go of anyone who has a gate of 36&quot; or smaller and isn't paying a premium of at least $35/hour. When you think about it, aren't they just costing me money now anyway... <p>-TGC
Old 07-16-2000, 11:43 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

Congratulations, turfer. Glad to hear you are liking the new mower. I'm 48 yrs old and havn't had too much of a problem with this work,(yet). I've just started full time. I picked up a couple accounts with gated rear yards app. 40&quot; wide. I'm doing them with my 22&quot; Toro push mower but thinking about loading up an old snapper 36&quot; riding mower for these jobs. I have room on my trailer. What do you guys think? Would it save enough time to be worth the trouble? These are just 1/4 avre properties. My main mower is 52&quot; ztr and won't fit thru gates.
Old 07-16-2000, 09:21 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Congrats on your move up. You will be very happy with the 12.5 Kaw. I had one on a 52&quot; Toro and when I sold it the hour meter was around 2000. It is still cutting a residential lawn today.