Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 03-08-2010, 10:16 PM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by racerkxv View Post
I saw this post today and couldn't help but put my two cents in. For four years I tried to balance this same schedule. You are going to have to be very disciplined as well as organized. I feel like I lost most of my college "partying" days to either running or planning for my business. MY strong advice is this, keep your accounts small as you have stated for a little $, try an internship with an ME company, and have fun while your in college. :Leave your options open
thanks, that seems like what im preparing for in a nutshell
Old 03-09-2010, 03:05 PM
LawnSite Member

Hey, I'm cody. I'm a junior in college and mow too. I set up my school schedule so I come tuesday and thursday all day and that's it. Last semester I took 15 credit hours and this semester i'm taking 12 so i'm full time. I'm not in debt at all and we mow 30 yards a week. I'm also an electrician 3 days a week right now. I'll cut that back to two days a week when mowing starts though. That's mostly a winter job but I can't quit cuz my boss is awesome and it's super flexible. We are also growing 300 tomato plants to sell green tomatoes to a local grocery store. I can tell you that it can be done if you plan it all out right.

I own a 36" walk behind, a 48" hydro walk behind, a 60" dixie chopper, and two 72" dixie choppers. We also service a couple 10 acre accounts, an 8 acre condo development, my yard is 7 acres, one is about 4.5 acres. and all my other yards are less than a couple acres. I still get to see my gf a lot and hang out with friends. I always get A's and B's in college. Last semester I got 4 A's and 1 B. I have one very dependable employee which helps more than anything. And all my equipment is nice. Just get whatever yards you can and then if it's too much drop some or hire some help. Or if you decide you can handle more then try to get a few more along the way. 30 seems to be getting close to my max though. If it rains I feel the pressure sometimes. But it definitely can be done. You just have to try it for yourself and see what works for you.
Old 03-10-2010, 07:12 PM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by cody890 View Post
Hey, I'm cody. I'm a junior in college and mow too. I set up my school schedule so I come tuesday and thursday all day and that's it. Last semester I took 15 credit hours and this semester i'm taking 12 so i'm full time. I'm not in debt at all and we mow 30 yards a week. I'm also an electrician 3 days a week right now. I'll cut that back to two days a week when mowing starts though. That's mostly a winter job but I can't quit cuz my boss is awesome and it's super flexible. We are also growing 300 tomato plants to sell green tomatoes to a local grocery store. I can tell you that it can be done if you plan it all out right.

I own a 36" walk behind, a 48" hydro walk behind, a 60" dixie chopper, and two 72" dixie choppers. We also service a couple 10 acre accounts, an 8 acre condo development, my yard is 7 acres, one is about 4.5 acres. and all my other yards are less than a couple acres. I still get to see my gf a lot and hang out with friends. I always get A's and B's in college. Last semester I got 4 A's and 1 B. I have one very dependable employee which helps more than anything. And all my equipment is nice. Just get whatever yards you can and then if it's too much drop some or hire some help. Or if you decide you can handle more then try to get a few more along the way. 30 seems to be getting close to my max though. If it rains I feel the pressure sometimes. But it definitely can be done. You just have to try it for yourself and see what works for you.
wow man, thats VERY impressive. that just gave me the OK to keep going with it because after these last few posts im more than confident that it can be done. thanks for the info and keep keep it up

Tags
business , college , school