Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 03-08-2010, 11:46 PM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lawn Freak View Post
Everything looks really nice. Have a good season!
Thanks man. Same to you!
Old 03-09-2010, 08:57 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DJJS View Post
custom landscape concepts - work looks great keep it up man, love the truck lettering looks great too. One question, do you have any pictures of how you secure the snowblower on the salter in the truck? I'd like to do something similar next year

you can look into when the ICPI class comes around your way, it's not hands on but it'll teach you the basics, also check out how to books, I pretty much taught myself, then just take on smaller projects and work your way up to the larger ones. Also if you have family members/friends you can do some paver jobs for to get your feet wet, it'll help and be less stress then a job for a regular customer
Ya i have thought about that class I just went to the block seminar somaybe ill try to go to the paver one to. Thanks for the reply
Old 03-10-2010, 01:52 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Custom Landscape Concepts View Post
DJJS thanks for the complements I really appreciate it. I will take a picture of that snowblower hooked on the rack at the end of the week when I move it back to my shop and Ill post it on here for sure. I always think about it in the middle of a snowstorm and you know how that goes haha. About the pavers, working for friends and family is great that's how I started and you have a chance to use some trial and error, something you want to avoid for a professional client. Also, my first patio was a super flat 10x10 with an I or T pattern and you just work your way up so you are right on with that advice.

My first projects were similar, I did some work for family & friends then the first ones for clients I took on were relatively simple, flat and not all that intricate, I passed on a job or two I knew would be over my head to start off with, finally in the fall last year took on my first real major project, man did I run into every possible problem on that job too anyway how much of your business is brick & stone work compared to landscaping & mowing? seems like we've built our businesses pretty similarly
Old 03-10-2010, 08:42 AM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
My first projects were similar, I did some work for family & friends then the first ones for clients I took on were relatively simple, flat and not all that intricate, I passed on a job or two I knew would be over my head to start off with, finally in the fall last year took on my first real major project, man did I run into every possible problem on that job too anyway how much of your business is brick & stone work compared to landscaping & mowing? seems like we've built our businesses pretty similarly
Haha yea what can go wrong will go wrong in this business. I would say when i started the business 3 years ago it was 50/50 between mowing and brick work and now with the economy the way it is, its more like 75% maintenance and 25% brickwork. I get calls for small little walkway repairs that are barely worth the time it takes to drive out there and every once in while we get a decent stone job that comes our way. I wish I knew what I know know 3 years ago when there was a ton of work in brick and block side of the business but hopefully things turn around and people start doing those types of projects again.
Old 03-10-2010, 07:43 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Haha yea what can go wrong will go wrong in this business. I would say when i started the business 3 years ago it was 50/50 between mowing and brick work and now with the economy the way it is, its more like 75% maintenance and 25% brickwork. I get calls for small little walkway repairs that are barely worth the time it takes to drive out there and every once in while we get a decent stone job that comes our way. I wish I knew what I know know 3 years ago when there was a ton of work in brick and block side of the business but hopefully things turn around and people start doing those types of projects again.
We were pretty much in the same range also, hopefully things turn around a bit more this year, we also do decks, fences & arbors since I got some experience working with a uncle who was a carpenter when I was younger, actually had more of those jobs last year then pavers/walls since some people are renovating their homes instead of trying to sell & move in this market.
Old 03-10-2010, 10:12 PM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
We were pretty much in the same range also, hopefully things turn around a bit more this year, we also do decks, fences & arbors since I got some experience working with a uncle who was a carpenter when I was younger, actually had more of those jobs last year then pavers/walls since some people are renovating their homes instead of trying to sell & move in this market.
Yep exactly. We did a big fence project I think you can see it in the pictures of the outdoor staircase I posted it was all around a pool pretty good size job for our first one haha. I worked with some wood fencing as well and I actually don't mind it too much if I got a call about it today theres a good chance I would bid on it. Gotta take work where you can find it in this economy. Just did a bunch of advertising and letters to all my current customers. Hopefully that phone starts ringing off the hook even it is just people confirming their accounts for another year haha.
Old 03-10-2010, 10:49 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Wow you have an awesome business going. I love the paver pics, really nice work. I too want to get more into that stuff, but need to learn. I'm thinking of working with a company who does installs this summer, is that something that would help, or just a waste of time?? I am going to do the family thing also, my folks want a patio put in, I might try to tackle it and hopefully learn a lot. Any advice is appreciated, good luck this year!
Old 03-10-2010, 11:15 PM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by slamjamrockinman View Post
Wow you have an awesome business going. I love the paver pics, really nice work. I too want to get more into that stuff, but need to learn. I'm thinking of working with a company who does installs this summer, is that something that would help, or just a waste of time?? I am going to do the family thing also, my folks want a patio put in, I might try to tackle it and hopefully learn a lot. Any advice is appreciated, good luck this year!
Thanks for the compliments man. I think some part-time work for a company who does installs can be very beneficial, especially if its a reputable company who does quality work. Hands on learning is defiantly the way to go and working for family takes a lot of the pressure off and helps you concentrate on learning the process instead of worrying about setbacks and other issues. Good luck with everything let me know if you have any questions! Ill post some more landscaping and patio pics from 07 and 08 when I get a few minutes, it gives a good progression of how we started to where we are now.
Old 03-10-2010, 11:24 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Thanks for the advice, that will definately be something I am looking at getting into. I would love to see more pics as well. As far as pavers/hardscape goes, would you say it is worth expanding into?? Granted the economy is decent and you can sell this type of work to clients. Do you notice significantly higher margins as apposed to the maintenance side of your biz? Everyone says that there is much better money in that type of work, I can see how, especially when I crunch the numbers. Let me know if you would rather discuss this through PM's. Again any imput is greatly appreciated!
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 03-10-2010, 11:35 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Yep exactly. We did a big fence project I think you can see it in the pictures of the outdoor staircase I posted it was all around a pool pretty good size job for our first one haha. I worked with some wood fencing as well and I actually don't mind it too much if I got a call about it today theres a good chance I would bid on it. Gotta take work where you can find it in this economy. Just did a bunch of advertising and letters to all my current customers. Hopefully that phone starts ringing off the hook even it is just people confirming their accounts for another year haha.
Ohh I saw the fence in the background but didnt know if you installed it or if it was already there, looks good especially for your first. I like the fence installations but i'd much rather the decks/ arbors & paver/wall jobs, more room to be creative with designs