Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 03-10-2010, 10:22 PM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mdvaden View Post
Looks okay.

What do you say about dropping linking the entire paragraph on the home page? Maybe change the menu button to "about us" or something, and just let people find it in the menu. Its sort of wierd to link entire sentences or paragraphs.

I'm not a fan of weather banners, but its fine.

A comment was made that your site was skinny. Actually, I think that the 800 pixel width is the ultimate in webpage width, maybe 900. But without a side menu. So the side menu does narrow the text area quite a bit. My first site had a side menu, and I culled it, opting for a horizontal menu instead.

800 pixels is about the width of a page of paper. And its no accident that a paper page is the width it is.
mdvaden, I am laughing at myself right now. You caught me making changes in the site from other members comments. However the entire paragraph linking was an accident. But thanks for bringing that to my attention before I logged out!
Echo Trimmers SRM 210 x's 2 and SRM 265
Echo Backpack blowers 620's
Husqavana backpack blower
Echo Edger

97' Dodge Ram 1500

14' Trailer w/trimmer racks
Old 03-11-2010, 05:10 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Lawn Connection View Post
Richard what program are you using to view my website? Never thought about anyone having that problem. I am using Mozilla Firefox.

Thanks Richard!
Internet Explorer 8.0 on Windows 7. My display is a 1600 by 900. When you're designing webpages you should always start out using IE since it is easily the most popular web browser. I'm not saying it's the best in everybody's opinion, just the most widely used.

Regardless of which of my computers I use Lawnsite always stretches out to fill the screen. That is what you're looking for.
Attached Images

Old 03-11-2010, 05:29 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

I'm sorry, the previous pic was at 125% magnafication. You can see the value in the right lower corner. Here's Lawnsite at normal size.
Attached Images

Old 03-11-2010, 05:50 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by mdvaden View Post
A comment was made that your site was skinny. Actually, I think that the 800 pixel width is the ultimate in webpage width, maybe 900. But without a side menu. So the side menu does narrow the text area quite a bit. My first site had a side menu, and I culled it, opting for a horizontal menu instead.

800 pixels is about the width of a page of paper. And its no accident that a paper page is the width it is.
Screens are getting wider. Back when I started surfing the Internet we had to use a small piece of software called a Winsock. It's actually still on all computers but you no longer have to install it yourself. Anyway, back in those days the standard width was 640 by 480. When 800 by 600 became the norm then most of the 640 by 480 pages appeared skinny. Now most of the new computers are coming with wide screen monitors to take advantage of high def online videos and tv tuner cards/USB.

This is only an issue with CSS programming. A page designed without CSS adjusts it's self. I have a temporary page up without CSS on it and it fills all of my monitors up regardless of resolution.