Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 01-23-2003, 02:00 PM
LawnSite Member

Which way to grow?

Here is my question. Which way is best if you want to grow. I am solo and have about 52 accounts, 50 percent res or 50 percent comm. Would it be best to get into spraying, which I feel takes away from my mowing or snow removal which I don t have the truck or equipement for. The other idea I had was to get a employee so I could do more yards, the problem I see there now you have to pay unemployment taxes, medical and all that and is that worth it. So I guess I am looking for a little help into which way you guys grew and why. Thanks for any input.
Old 01-23-2003, 02:29 PM
LawnSite Member

I also forgot to mention that I am leaning toward snow removal then i won t get cabin fever.
Old 01-23-2003, 02:38 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

thats a question only you can answer, if you have that much biz and you want to grow, you'll have to hire a employee.Paying insurance, workers comp, is all part of the game you do as you get bigger. snow removal is good provided you have a lot, here its so iffy so we don't spend a lot on equipment for it.
Old 01-23-2003, 04:44 PM
LawnSite Member

Thanks JBLAWN.
Old 01-23-2003, 05:38 PM
LawnSite Member

Snow removal can get expensive quick and you don't have the equipment yet,even more money,breaking down at 2 am., customers calling constantly because they want to be first,it gets hectic and lets face it,your 52 lawn accounts have never called at the same time to tell you there's 2' of grass here hurry up!not to discourage you because i make decent money at it and some guys make a killing but i can think of better ways to make a buck,i would take the money you would spend on snow eq. and hire a good employee and get more lawn accounts,it's just easier to manage,but if you are still leaning towards plowing go to plowsite.com,tons of info there,good luck