Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 03-13-2010, 11:34 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

Location: Louisville KY mainly... I bounce from place to place.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scag48 View Post
Well he said $10K, that's why I kinda threw out the purchasing option from the get-go and advised the rental route. $10K doesn't buy a very large or well kept machine, even in these times.
Hmm... I'm not shure about that. I found a Dresser 125 loaded for clearing with a winch,sweeps and 4n1 for 9000 bucks. Pretty nice machine too. There's a 941B in my area I've run and it was pretty tight but looked like like hell cosmetically for 7k. For 500 bucks more he would give me a 4n1 on it.
Old 03-13-2010, 12:00 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

If you want to buy the machine and use it for your company I think a small dozer with a ripper would be ideal for this job and practical enough to use in the future. Would you be willing to go more than 10k if you would be keeping the purchased machine?

Whatever you decide on, take photos and keep us filled in on the progress!

If you want to use a scraper, I saw a really neat one at the National Farm Machinery Show that mounted on the front of a CTL; it is made by Ashland. It holds 2 yards and by the video looked like it works pretty well. That would be a significant investment though.

Good luck.

Warren

Old 03-13-2010, 01:31 PM
LawnSite Member

If u are looking into buying a machine to dig this pond, and use in the future. U need a 943 or even a 953 cat track loader. It is the most versitle machine u can own, pluss u wont be pissing in the wind with something smaller. If u go to the rental side i would recomend a 613 scraper this machine would finish this pond in no time, i know because we dig them all the time with our 613. Good luck.
Old 03-13-2010, 02:43 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Your not gonna dig a 15 foot deep pond that is only 75 feet long with a scraper and also have the deep side at one end. Period. Not gonna happen. You might get a 15 foot center and let me tell you it will be a beotch to do with a scraper. Or a tractor and pans for that matter. On a BIG pond, scraper all the way, on something this small you will have to take huge fast cuts with the scraper, that's not what a scraper is good at doing, that's not what they are for. I don't care what you say that scraper would be comming out of that hole half the time 1/2 full. Plain and simple 75 feet is not enough span to be able to fill a pan and get 15 feet down. Not gonna happen. Those are the facts, now for the assumptions, your going to tell a obliosly "green" guy to go rent a scraper with NO experience running one? Come on! I would say a scraper and a grader are the two machines that actually take skill to run and be productive with. A excavator, track loader, wheel loader can all be productive to a degree with a school girl running them. You guys can just be clowns.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 03-13-2010, 02:58 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by farmerknowsbest View Post
If you want to buy the machine and use it for your company I think a small dozer with a ripper would be ideal for this job and practical enough to use in the future. Would you be willing to go more than 10k if you would be keeping the purchased machine?

Whatever you decide on, take photos and keep us filled in on the progress!

If you want to use a scraper, I saw a really neat one at the National Farm Machinery Show that mounted on the front of a CTL; it is made by Ashland. It holds 2 yards and by the video looked like it works pretty well. That would be a significant investment though.

Good luck.

Warren
I was one of those last year at the show in ky... I just dobt a samller (267,TL140) CTL could make enough tractive effort to move it through any kind of hard dirt...
Old 03-13-2010, 03:21 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ozz View Post
I was one of those last year at the show in ky... I just dobt a samller (267,TL140) CTL could make enough tractive effort to move it through any kind of hard dirt...
Jpg had one of these and correct me if im wrong but i think he used it on his pt 60. And pretty sure he got it off ebay quite cheap.

This guy should buy a used skid or ctl ( or mabee even finance a newer one) and go to town on this pond. If he has all the time in the world why not? By the time hes done he could be a half decent operator.

A.E.L

Excavating, Grading, Demolition, Land Clearing, Custom Grinding Services, Storm water management, Erosion Control.

Check out our new YouTube account!
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCWI...YEpKMXUcrB1jBw
Old 03-13-2010, 05:33 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by T_S_S View Post
Jpg had one of these and correct me if im wrong but i think he used it on his pt 60. And pretty sure he got it off ebay quite cheap.

This guy should buy a used skid or ctl ( or mabee even finance a newer one) and go to town on this pond. If he has all the time in the world why not? By the time hes done he could be a half decent operator.
JPG had it on his 80...

Yah, you do have a point. A good example of what to do when you buy a wachine... My dad had a Dresser 125C and we were cleaning up some of our property, set me loose,because I couldn't hurt much on our property, gave some pointers and I ended up pretty good on it by the end of the 2nd day. By the end of the week he trusted me enough to dig out a pond with 3 feet of accumulated silt. I ended up stuck and need to get pulled out. I eventually blew out the dam waited 2 months and then dug it to grade.
Old 03-13-2010, 05:39 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by T_S_S View Post

thats a good idea. and a skid i would say is also the most commonly needed machine for a landscape biz.
Old 03-13-2010, 05:40 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

I have seen a video on youtube of the ashland scraper mounted on a Deere CTL. It looked kinda small but maybe you could get a bigger model.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cKcx9...eature=related
There is the video.
Old 03-13-2010, 07:42 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by cutbetterthanyou View Post
that is kind of what i am going for but i want deep on one end for fish.30 hours don;t seem bad for a project of that size. ive used a backhoe a little and my compact tractor alot so im not in the dark.pics would be cool.thanks
Here are a few pictures. The first one is for reference. The pond is out in a field and it is to wet to get anything over to it to use for size comparison, so I used this gas can.
Attached Images