Register free!

Old 03-09-2010, 04:38 PM
LawnSite Member

What is killing the grass

Hello,

Last summer I started to see a few spot of dead grass at one end of my yard. The grass would die, but would turn almost white or a really light beige color. Upon inspecting I would see little spore like capsules inside the dead spots. I took it to the local Lessco dealer to find out if it was a fungus or what, but the told me to just apply some pre-emergent weed killer or barrier in the spring. I took their advice and said OK, but after the snow melted from two large snow falls in Maryland, i found even more dead patches that earlier were healthy. Can anyone tell me what this is before I loose my yard?
Attached Images

Old 03-09-2010, 04:50 PM
LawnSite Member

You have 2 Problems.....First..Those pictures show Grey Snow Mold..The so called dead areas need to be raked to get some air flow to those areas...Most likely those areas will recover...You might want to go to JDL and get a fungiside labeled for Grey Snow Mold..If areas dont recover, you will need to overseed those areas...Your second problem is tough to diagnosis with out seeing the grass...Could be powdery mildew, could be many things...I suggest to go get a scotts lawn book...That will help you diagnosis the problem and correct it......
Old 03-09-2010, 05:03 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

What kind of grass is this? Fuzzy pic is a problem. Snow mold will be worse under areas of deepest snow. However this could be patches of Bermuda grass in a fescue lawn. Snow mold fungicide is best used in fall, before snow. Grass usually recovers from snow mold, but it will take a few weeks. Overseed as needed--take the opportunity to get some top quality seed--it might be more disease-resistant. Maybe.
Old 03-09-2010, 06:02 PM
LawnSite Platinum Member

You are probably seeing some snow mold, it is mostly cosmetic and will grow out of it quickly with the weather this week

The other without a more detaled picture looks like brown patch, it could be anything.
Fungal disease was everywhere in the mid atlantic and NE, it was rampant, just a perfect season for it

The fungal spores are still around and are just waiting for the temps to climb, it really likes warm still damp environments
Old 03-14-2010, 10:07 PM
LawnSite Member

Hmm, snow mold?? Thanks everyone for the adviceI will post better pics tomorrow, sorry for the fuzzy pics, they were taken just before dark on my cell phone. The grass is fescue and I plan to hand rake or power rake/dethatch to get up the dead grass,leaves blown from out the woods and to have the grass stand back up from the weight of the snow. Does anyone know where to get the fungiside from, also what type to get and the approx. cost? Hey ITC Bill, I did see some pods inside a patch of dead grass I found last summer and the grass looked very similar to the snow mold. I took it to a local spot they didn't seem to know what it was, they told me to put some some premergent weed control, I kinda just looked at the guy and said thans as I thought to myself, this doesn't look like a weed.
Old 03-14-2010, 11:25 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Applying fungicide now for snow mold will not do any good. It needs to be applied prior to snow fall. The problem with this, is most of our snows don't last but a few days to a couple of weeks most times. That is why you probably didn't see any damage from the blizzard around christmas...the snow wasn't around long enough. If though, you have certain lawns that seem to have this problem each year, you may want to put an application down in the late fall.

As stated above, rake or blow to loosen up the matted areas. I also agree, that the problem last fall to which you are referring to more than likely was Brown patch disease.

By the way, I would go back to your JDL man and tell him to get more edumacated if he plans to stay in the industry.

Jack