Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 03-14-2010, 11:05 AM
LawnSite Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ksss View Post
Its increases in psi are not as great but its ability resist cracking and peeling are much better. If you have ever had to remove fiber reinforced concrete the difference between fiber and non or even fiber and rebar is significant. You can power trowel fiber concrete. The hairs shed themselves.
Maybe our Concrete plants do not get the mix right but here in georgia there are 2 things that are guranteed with concrete. It will not burn and it will crack. The fiber has no bearing on frequency of cracks Here but if you compare 2500 psi with fiber to 3500 psi which cost the same I was told 3500 will out last the 2500 with fiber. Friends of mine owned one of the larger concrete companies here in the Metro area. My info came straight from them.
Also not sure why but most of the fiber mixes do leave the hairs showing at the surface on slabs? The good concret guys use rebar, 4500+, and fiber in all of the footings. I have never busted up fiber concrete so you my have a valid point about it making it stronger. Nothing like a real world test.LOL Maybe the guys misinformed me? I am no concrete expert.
Old 03-14-2010, 01:30 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by AWJ Services View Post
Maybe our Concrete plants do not get the mix right but here in georgia there are 2 things that are guranteed with concrete. It will not burn and it will crack. The fiber has no bearing on frequency of cracks Here but if you compare 2500 psi with fiber to 3500 psi which cost the same I was told 3500 will out last the 2500 with fiber. Friends of mine owned one of the larger concrete companies here in the Metro area. My info came straight from them.
Also not sure why but most of the fiber mixes do leave the hairs showing at the surface on slabs? The good concret guys use rebar, 4500+, and fiber in all of the footings. I have never busted up fiber concrete so you my have a valid point about it making it stronger. Nothing like a real world test.LOL Maybe the guys misinformed me? I am no concrete expert.

I am not a concrete expert either, I know only what I have been told and by what I have seen. The first time I pulled fiber concrete, I could not believe it. I had to completely pummel the concrete with the breaker, the pieces were about 1' square in the largest. Usually on 4" concrete a little breaking to make it a little easier to pull and your done. Not so with the fiber. It really sucked. All the pieces were small. Anyone pulling fiber concrete should charge more.

I agree that concrete will crack but fiber really seems to resist it better than rebar. Tying slabs together or to a concrete wall, rebar is certain more effective. I think holding the concrete pad itself together fiber seems really effective. We also have a problem with scaling here do to the ice melt that is used. The fiber seems to help prevent that to some extent.

Proudly running CASE and Takeuchi equipment.
Old 03-14-2010, 08:37 PM
LawnSite Member

If I'm cutting into a slope for the garage can I dig while the top soil is still a bit damp? The builder is pressing to get this done ASAP. What's teh rule of thumb?
Old 03-14-2010, 09:04 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

English law allowed a man to beat his wife with a stick so long as it is was no thicker than his thumb. ...
Never be afraid to try something new. Remember that a lone amateur built the Ark. A large group of professionals built the Titanic. -Unknown
Old 03-14-2010, 11:15 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by ioilyouin View Post
English law allowed a man to beat his wife with a stick so long as it is was no thicker than his thumb. ...
on the courthouse steps..

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobcat_ron View Post

Just run the god damn sh*t out of the machine and the hell with all the other crap, make money instead of worrying about crap that only accountants think about!
Old 03-14-2010, 11:43 PM
LawnSite Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by queen of spades View Post
If I'm cutting into a slope for the garage can I dig while the top soil is still a bit damp? The builder is pressing to get this done ASAP. What's teh rule of thumb?
No it will not matter.

A laymens check on the compaction of the soil is to take a peice of rebar and try to shove it straight down into the ground. It should not go but a couple inches.