Register free!

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Old 03-16-2010, 06:21 AM
LawnSite Member

NH LS175 or Bobcat220

G'day,

Currently own an NH LS 160 04 model, had some seat sensor problems and not enough power for a few jobs and top boom bushes seem to ware out pretty fast, other than that it's been pretty good. Looking at upgrading to a LS175 current model with pilot controls, or S220. I have only used a 773 and a 420 Case in the past.

Using it for grass slashing, grapple bucket, trencher, post hole digger and pallet forks. Dirt driveway grading. I'll be test driving them in a couple of weeks but would like to know if either have any problems, buying new.
Old 03-16-2010, 06:43 AM
LawnSite Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SP1000 View Post
G'day,

Currently own an NH LS 160 04 model, had some seat sensor problems and not enough power for a few jobs and top boom bushes seem to ware out pretty fast, other than that it's been pretty good. Looking at upgrading to a LS175 current model with pilot controls, or S220. I have only used a 773 and a 420 Case in the past.

Using it for grass slashing, grapple bucket, trencher, post hole digger and pallet forks. Dirt driveway grading. I'll be test driving them in a couple of weeks but would like to know if either have any problems, buying new.
If power is an issue why not just go for an LS 190 or a Bobcat A300? Just saying a LS175 or S220 still dont have a heavy tip load for heavy lifting or huge power. Pilot controls are the way to go in my opinion.

On our own as of 2003. Proud to be a full time, legitimate company.

Equipment we use:
Ford trucks
Pro Line and GatorMade trailer's
Gravely, Exmark, Honda and Snapper mower's
Echo trimmer's and blower's
LittleWonder equipment
BillyGoat equipment
New Holland and Dresser loader's (snow removal)
Fisher snow plow's
DownEaster and Fisher salt spreader's
TurboTurf fertilizer tank

http://jandblawncare.net
Old 03-16-2010, 10:37 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Try a CASE 440. The Bobcat 220 is their best machine in my opinon but the 440 is more powerful.

Proudly running CASE and Takeuchi equipment.
Old 03-16-2010, 10:50 PM
LawnSite Gold Member

Bobcat 220 is discontinued (i think). Might be some left in inventory but the s630 is the replacement. you can search for the info on the test results between the 220 and the 630.

"Life is tough, but it's tougher if you're stupid."

Twitter @Cedar_Clearing
Old 03-16-2010, 11:35 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

There kind off 2 diffrent loaders, The N Holland is a vertical path loader, while the Bobcat is a radial path. The S250 is the vertical path version of the s220. If your using your machine for material moving, you want vertical, digging you tend to want radial. Both are proven and great machines, although I would think that you would have to go one step bigger than the 175 to lift the same as the 220 or 250. i could be wrong though.
Old 03-17-2010, 12:06 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by KTM View Post
If your using your machine for material moving, you want vertical, digging you tend to want radial.
Can you explain that to me/us.

I have heard this from several people and for the life of me can't figure out what the heck difference it would make.

I have asked other people in the past but they really didn't know.

Thanks.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark Oomkes
Your argument falls flatter than a 3 day old roadkill squirrel.
Old 03-17-2010, 12:06 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

I had a 665 and 170 and they do have a warm spot in my heart. I think they are an 'overachieving' machine. The 175 has a touch more power but still is lacking. I went with a 440 and while heavier and a bit bigger footprint has been way more productive for me.
Old 03-17-2010, 12:18 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Duffster View Post
Can you explain that to me/us.

I have heard this from several people and for the life of me can't figure out what the heck difference it would make.

I have asked other people in the past but they really didn't know.

Thanks.
There's some discussion that vertical lift machines have more bushings/pins than radial. This means more wear points but also greater potential for slop, but given how tight manufacturers have begun making their vertical machines, I think it's become more of whether you plan to do a lot of truck loading or just some 6' tops dirt work.

One reason it *does* make sense to go radial for dirt moving is that the load moves away from you as you lift up, so dumping a load (into a small pile) is easier -- you don't have to drive up on the pile to get the load away from the machine. (This is especially true for Deere and NH designs, but less so for Cat and Bobcat.)
Old 03-17-2010, 09:36 AM
LawnSite Member

Thanks for all your input.
Old 03-17-2010, 09:53 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by nobagger View Post
If power is an issue why not just go for an LS 190 or a Bobcat A300? Just saying a LS175 or S220 still dont have a heavy tip load for heavy lifting or huge power. Pilot controls are the way to go in my opinion.
I wouldnt really throw a A300 in the mix, as it is an all wheel steer machine as aposed to the newholland . Bobcat S250's are one of there best machines in my opinion. Company i used to be partnered with had 2 of them (one with pilot controls, one with hand and foot) and besides one or two small simple fixes, they both were realiable work horses. When i left the one had 3300 hrs, and the other 2600 i believe.

A.E.L

Land Clearing, Grinding services, Mulch Production, Excavating, Grading

Check out our new YouTube account!
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCWI...YEpKMXUcrB1jBw