Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 03-17-2010, 05:33 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

And I live about 8 miles from The Georgia Club and Chateau Elan golf courses if familiar with those...in fact we did every bit of civil engineering, layout and land surveying for the Georgia Club.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 03-17-2010, 09:44 AM
LawnSite Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Merkava_4 View Post
I hope you're not referring to the recently acquired CA Trimmer
mowers because they are built like tanks. They are the finest walk
behind reel mowers on the face of the Earth. I'll bet my life on it.

http://dolphinope.stores.yahoo.net/eatrremo.html
Then you would be dead.
The walk behind reel mowers from Toro, Jacobsen/Ransomes, even the John Deere and Brower are all built much better, are designed to be run all day long and more importantly are meant to be maintained.
As I have repeatedly stated, the home owner grade machines are just that - homeowner use only. Provided the CA Trimmer is so great - why don't you provide direct information on ten out of the twenty odd thousand golf courses here in the USA that are using one?
Surely if they are that capable someone, somewhere must be using one.
Old 03-17-2010, 09:54 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

There is a big difference between maintaining a golf course and a home lawn...for a home lawn. Trimmer, TruCut or McClane are fine machines.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 03-17-2010, 12:36 PM
LawnSite Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by cgaengineer View Post
There is a big difference between maintaining a golf course and a home lawn...for a home lawn. Trimmer, TruCut or McClane are fine machines.
Posted via Mobile Device
I am aware of that, although I wouldn't say fine, more like marginally acceptable.
The issue here is people who express uninformed opinions about machines they do not understand then continue to argue a spurious, nonsensical point.
Somewhat similar to the reel grinding thread.
Old 03-17-2010, 12:42 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Maybe they don't meet your standards TX, but they seem to be fine for all of the lawns reel mowed here...in fact those are the most popular mowers used by lawn service providers around here.

At 1/2 inch and above those 3 are adequate, any less than that you will need a greens mower like you listed.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 03-17-2010, 12:52 PM
LawnSite Gold Member

Popular doesn't always mean the best.
Look, I'm not trying to be a twat here - but I'll throw this out anyways; if any of you guys using the Tru-cut or similar machines try a used commercial 26" of any of the manufacturers I mentioned, I bet you'll prefer the used commercial machines.
I have run the McClane's, Tru-Cuts, Lockes and an old Ransomes unit against the mower manufacturers I mentioned - and also solicited input from my crews in the process.
Uniformly all preferred the commercial machines and from a continual maintenance stand point, the commercial machines were much easier to maintain.
This is all I'm saying as obviously what you guys do is beyond my control.
Apparently we are going to have to agree to disagree which is fine - that's what makes life in America so great.
Old 03-17-2010, 01:15 PM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by txgrassguy View Post
I am aware of that, although I wouldn't say fine, more like marginally acceptable.
The issue here is people who express uninformed opinions about machines they do not understand then continue to argue a spurious, nonsensical point.
Somewhat similar to the reel grinding thread.
Your doing the same thing. You keep referring to the homeowner version. your expressing an opinion based on no experience with a commercial Trimmer. I shared MY EXPERIENCE. Opinions are, like you say, debatable. My experience is not.
The commercial Trimmers ran, and run from ding till dong. All day every day. The DEAL IS, another company acquired them and for whatever reason, many of which have NOTHING to do with the mower, are not out there.
For me, I simply stated that, based on MY EXPERIENCE there is no way a blade spinning around with no anvil to cut against is going to cut ANYTHING much less turf, as well as ANY power reel mower set up properly. I realize that ones reality as they see it, may or may not be based in fact. The fact remains the shearing affect of a reel, just like a pair of scissors, will produce a better cut than any whirling blade with nothing to cut against.
Ray Charles could even see that.
HH
Old 03-17-2010, 01:22 PM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
Popular doesn't always mean the best.
Look, I'm not trying to be a twat here - but I'll throw this out anyways; if any of you guys using the Tru-cut or similar machines try a used commercial 26" of any of the manufacturers I mentioned, I bet you'll prefer the used commercial machines.
I have run the McClane's, Tru-Cuts, Lockes and an old Ransomes unit against the mower manufacturers I mentioned - and also solicited input from my crews in the process.
Uniformly all preferred the commercial machines and from a continual maintenance stand point, the commercial machines were much easier to maintain.
This is all I'm saying as obviously what you guys do is beyond my control.
Apparently we are going to have to agree to disagree which is fine - that's what makes life in America so great.
I would agree to everything you said here. I dont think your being a twat. I bet I would prefer a Jake or Toro Greens above the McClanes and Tru's. Now the Lockes dont know. I have heard great things about the cut but nothing about the day to day maintenance. I would agree also that if I am walking behind a reel mower ALL DAY LONG it better STAY set-up and be capable of putting up with the abuse of 12 hour days and the occasional mis-hap that is GOING TO HAPPEN after lunch when all get a little tired, or distracted and miss something that we will inevitably run over. Day to day maintenance would way heavy for me as well when considering "performance"

HH-lunch is not lasting NEAR LONG ENOUGH here recently but, that is a good problem to have right now.
Old 03-17-2010, 01:25 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grnhed View Post
I would agree to everything you said here. I dont think your being a twat. I bet I would prefer a Jake or Toro Greens above the McClanes and Tru's. Now the Lockes dont know. I have heard great things about the cut but nothing about the day to day maintenance. I would agree also that if I am walking behind a reel mower ALL DAY LONG it better STAY set-up and be capable of putting up with the abuse of 12 hour days and the occasional mis-hap that is GOING TO HAPPEN after lunch when all get a little tired, or distracted and miss something that we will inevitably run over. Day to day maintenance would way heavy for me as well when considering "performance"

HH-lunch is not lasting NEAR LONG ENOUGH here recently but, that is a good problem to have right now.
Don't even get behind a Locke, you will be spoiled! The fellow (a friend, DaveK are you logged in?) I bought my 30" from has one and its awesome...they are in a different league then TruCut, Trimmer or McClane.

Ill get Dave to login and we will get his advice/preference...he uses a JD TriPlex on his lawn.

"A well-regulated militia being necessary to the security of a free state, the right of the people to keep and bear arms shall not be infringed."
Old 03-17-2010, 11:08 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Quote:
Then you would be dead.
The walk behind reel mowers from Toro, Jacobsen/Ransomes, even the John Deere and Brower are all built much better, are designed to be run all day long and more importantly are meant to be maintained.
As I have repeatedly stated, the home owner grade

machines are just that - homeowner use only. Provided the CA Trimmer is so great - why don't you provide direct information on ten out of the twenty odd thousand golf courses here in the USA that are using one?
Surely if they are that capable someone, somewhere must be using one.

I don't know why golf course don't use them; and quite frankly, I really don't care; it's their fault for not using the best. A CA Trimmer will cut a golf coarse just as well as whatever they're using now; if not better. You can't get a better cut than from a Trimmer. A CA Trimmer will take Bermuda grass and turn it into a perfectly smooth 1/4 inch thick carpet.

Even the home owner version is tougher than anything out on a golf course. When CA Trimmer was their own company, they made 3 different mowers: They made the 20" Home Owner Model; the 20" Heavy Duty model; and the 25" Commercial model. Even the Home Owner Trimmer uses 1/4 inch solid steel in it's construction; it will last several life times.

My Grandfather bought one of the first CA Trimmers back in 1938; a Heavy Duty model with the 3 chains and the clutch driven blade. (The Home Owner Model uses a belt and pulley system for blade engagement).
I inherited the mower and it's in my possession now. I also have my Dad's Trimmer and several of my own.
My Uncle's Trimmer will be mine someday as well because I've already asked him for it.

Tags
eastman , front throw , honda , mower , reel