Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 03-20-2010, 01:08 AM
LawnSite Member

Starting up at 15?

Okay, so here it is. I have just about no money when it comes to buying new equipment, I have a residential lawn mower (doesn't work very good usually, but it still cuts the lawn. I just can't jog like I would like to), I have a rake, basic gardening tools, and basically anything that you would find at an average persons home. I also have an electronic weed whacker (weed trimmer, grass trimmer, trimmer, w/e its actually called)

If I had to invest I could invest around $200, but I really would rather not, because I want to make money with what I have.

I am COMPLETELY new to the lawn care business. I have ZERO experience. I have never really been into lawn care that much. My extent of lawn care know how is mowing a lawn and watching my dad put on herbicide.

I need money to fund another business I want to start, and I need business experience. Which is why I'm doing this.
Right now I really am only trying to find a clientele close to me, as I can not drive and I know my parents will drive me to my work and a push mower would be less then ideal to push for kilometers at a time to get to a clients house. I have a good incentive for clients to get their services from me . I'm giving them free homemade cookies.

Right now it is still cold though, grass probably won't be growing for another month or so. So I'm trying to find clients and rake their lawns to get rid of their dead grass.

What's everyone's opinion on raking off peoples dead grass? It will all be small residential lawns. I live in a town and everyone's yards a small- medium for a house in a town. It's an older part of town with a lot of older people, although there are a lot of young people to (around my age).

When I am 16 (in 8 months) I can buy a truck, and use it to drive to projects. Hopefully by then I'll have a decent clientele, and I'll be able to remove snow for them. here in Alberta winter months are long, so snow removal is a very profitable business. I want to run this business for around 2-3 years, and then sell it, or completely manage it, one or the other. That way I can focus on more profitable businesses.

So here are my two questions:
1.) Should I be raking peoples lawns? Or am I just wasting their money? and 2.) What should I charge for a residential yard to be mowed and trimmed?

Feedback is appreciated, be as harsh as you want/can. But please leave constructive criticism. Criticism such as "you're an idiot, stop doing this" get's us no where. I am going to do lawn care one way or another, at least for a little while.

Thank you for your time and your feedback
Swap

Tags
grass , mow , residental , young