Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 03-19-2010, 10:25 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Do I need some kind of license to operate a skid steer in TN?

Ok, here is the deal: I have a customer that has 4 dogs and they have torn up her back yard. She wants to have dirt hauled in, and then hire me to spread/level/seed it. I'm definitely going to use a skid steer for the project. Probably going to rent one from Sunbelt.

My Question is, do I need some kind of license to be able to use this equipment for the job? A friend of mine told me that I would have to have a license, but when I looked on Sunbelt's website, I didn't find anything that said that. I also searched google and couldn't find anything difinitive at all. Is there anyone who operates skid steers in TN and can answer my question? Thanks!
Old 03-20-2010, 12:18 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

Not from Tn. but I have never heard of having to be licensed to operate a skid.
Old 03-20-2010, 02:16 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Graveslawncare View Post
Ok, here is the deal: I have a customer that has 4 dogs and they have torn up her back yard. She wants to have dirt hauled in, and then hire me to spread/level/seed it. I'm definitely going to use a skid steer for the project. Probably going to rent one from Sunbelt.

My Question is, do I need some kind of license to be able to use this equipment for the job? A friend of mine told me that I would have to have a license, but when I looked on Sunbelt's website, I didn't find anything that said that. I also searched google and couldn't find anything difinitive at all. Is there anyone who operates skid steers in TN and can answer my question? Thanks!
I have rented bobcats before, and you do not need any sort of license. I would just be sure to call and get the water lines and electric lines etc etc marked before you do any excavation. To answer your question, no you do not need any sort of license to operate a bobcat in TN.
Old 03-20-2010, 08:59 AM
LawnSite Gold Member

things like forklifts and telehandlers require licenses when used in a non-farm environment. skids do not.
Old 03-20-2010, 11:47 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

Seems in MD one needs a license for just about everything. A man can get fined for blowing his nose without one.

The 'mother may I?" mentality can drive one crazy in a hurry.
Old 03-20-2010, 02:44 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Thanks guys, I really appreciate it. I did more checking around on tn.gov and some other places last night and still didn't find anything requiring a license, so I appreciate the added peace of mind. As far as excavating, I won't be doing any, just moving around and smoothing out any dirt she has hauled in. Should be pretty straight forward. Thanks again for the input guys!