Register free!

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Old 01-16-2003, 11:47 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

problem with 8hp briggs on sander

lately ive been having a problem starting my sander, i choke it and it will not turn over, i spray a little starter fluid and it fires up and will run fine, im thinkin the choke isnt closing all the way though it appears to be doing so when the cable is applied. i did a conpression test and it is around 90 psi, im thinkin this is off a little not sure of the ratio so i cant figure out what the psi should be, im quessing should be like 120 psi. thanks tony
Old 01-17-2003, 12:10 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

defintely check to make sure that choke is closing all the way and seating well for a good close-off of air - if that's not it, try opening up the fuel mix adjustment on the carb about 1/4 to 1/2 a turn counterclockwise. If neither of those help, it's time to look at taking the carb apart for a cleaning, if no, take the head off the engine and see that the valves are seating well. If all those things don't seem to help, THEN look at tearing down the engine to put new rings in. I don't know the compression specs for the Briggs 8hp - call the nearest dealer, that's something their repair staff should know off the top of their head. Good luck.
Old 01-17-2003, 12:33 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Do what Jason says about the choke. If closing all the way then rebuild the carb. If it's not closing fix that. I believe the 8 hp has a crappy throttle/choke linkage and usually needs some tinkering. 90 lbs is OK so don't worry about a engine rebuild. Also in you saying after it starts it runs fine tells me it's just in the carb.
Old 01-26-2003, 10:59 PM
LawnSite Member

One of our major landscapers had this very same problem the last big storm. The remote cable does not give enough push to engage the choke. These engines take a trashing hanging back there in the dust and salt. Keep everything lubed and much as possible, and adjust your cable accordingly. We see most spreader engines only lasting about 2 years. They fail mostly because of sever salt damage and lack of preventative maintenance.
Old 01-26-2003, 11:01 PM
LawnSite Member

Oh, sorry I forgot. Your compression is dead on. A typical B&S 8hp vertical cranks at around 90psi until the compression release kicks off.