Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 12-18-2002, 08:50 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

When we get one like this, we dismount the tire and wire wheel the bead area on rim. Then we also use Napa Bead Sealer. Works pretty good. Remount tire and apply bead sealer to tire bead, it will fill most small distortions in rim or tire and provide a solid mounting to rim. Works well on low pressure ATV and rail tires also.
City of San Diego

We enrich lives through quality parks and programs.
Old 01-07-2003, 05:41 AM
LawnSite Member

Take the tire off, clean the whole mess up and then find a fork truck dealer for tire dealer that will foam fill them. You can foam them to the weight and psi you want. You will never have another flat and you can wear them down to the foam. Look under Trucks Industrial in the yellow pages.
Old 01-08-2003, 08:11 PM
LawnSite Member

Cost prohibitive? Smooth ride? damage to turf?

the added weight may effect the swivel action, and effect the durability of the mower.

There are some lightweight foams, that perform close to airfilled, but are fairly expensive.
Old 01-09-2003, 11:56 AM
LawnSite Member

I am not in the tire business but have been around and in the equipment business for 28 years.

I want you to define what fairly expensive is? $75,,,,,$100...... What? If you are down for a flat for one hour what is that worth? Or two or three during the life of a tire.
They can foam the tires to the inflation you want and specify or you can now buy foam core tires from the tire people. There is no reason a company should loose time and money to flats today.

Sereral years back we had a problem with some mowers on an airport property. the biggest problem was flats. Some of the mowers had flats every week. We foamed the tires and went a whole season without a flat problem.

Besides the cost to fix the flat there is down time (lost income), truck time, driver time and sometimes trailer time. It does not take long to get to $100 for a flat tire.

Oldhippy in Nebraska
Old 01-11-2003, 08:51 AM
LawnSite Member

tire foam

Just trying to give the guy the information necessary to make an educated decision. All the things I listed are characteristics of the foam inflation method.

Filling a tire with foam, and no more flats does sound appealing, and it does work well for heavy equipment used in enviroments where sharp objects will be encountered. It does not work well in small (lightweight) equipment. In other words the lawnmower will jar your teeth loose.

A small tire will cost about $40.00 to fill with conventional foam. As I mention there has been advances made to give a softer ride. This type will cost more, though I don't know exactly how much as I have never had it done. I would define expensive as any cost above what is necessary to get the job done. I am the maintainence supervisor for the city I live in, and have been for 17 yrs. Theres not much about equipment, and the operation thereof that you can tell me that I haven't had experience with.

Your analogy with the airport, and having $100.00 invested in one tire, in one season because of flats sounds unrealistic, and anyone operating a crew in such a manner would not be in business long.

I have four mowing crews and flat tires are not a problem if handled correctly. Actually flats are rather uncommon. On each crew truck, tire repair supplies, and either an air tank, or compressor is kept. If you do have a flat, simply stop and fix it. It doesn't take long to stick a plug in a tire.
Old 01-11-2003, 12:19 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Is that tire still flat or have you fixed it?

This is not really one of those agonizing business decisions. Either get it foam filled, put a tube in, or fix the existing rim or tire.
Old 01-12-2003, 08:50 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Both of my wright standers camew/ foam filled front tires. If an operator taps any slightly raised blunt object (lip of driveway apron under 2" taller than street surface) and ties aren't perpendicular to mouth of drive, the tire flexes at the base of the rim, then the foam abruptly blows out. We have gone to tubes on most all of our machines once they no longer hold a seal onthe rim. Yes they're a pain to installand yes they sometimes get a flat from thorn plants or glass, but then again - NOTHING is 100% guaranteed.

Bob
Old 01-12-2003, 06:51 PM
LawnSite Member

The easiest way that I have found is to break the tire down. If the wheel is rusty, use wire brush to remove the loose stuff. Get some silicone seal (caulk) and spread it on the inside of the tire where it meats the rim. I know tire shops that do this.

Wisdom is justified by all her children
Jesus
Old 01-26-2003, 10:15 PM
LawnSite Member

I recommend foam filling front caster tires, or the cheaper method is to just put a tube in it. Even though those front 3.80 caster tires can be a royal pain.