Register free!

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Old 03-22-2010, 06:16 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Accelerator Bagger Questoin

I've found an accelerator bagger for what I think is a good price, we called the guy today and he says that it has been used only twice because he didn't like how bulky it was. He is asking $250 for the bagger and the extender.

So my questions are...

1. What would be a fair price for both (I do have to drive an hour to see them)?

2. Will it fit on a Scag 52" advantage deck (how does the accelerator work in general, are they all the same bagger just different mounts or are there different size openings for each mower)?

3. Approx. how much does a mounting bracket cost if needed?

And in your opinion, would it be better to...

1. Buy a new bagger and stick with a cheap handheld blower for leaf cleanups?

2. Forget the bagger and buy a nice top of the line (br 600 power) blower and use a tarp for leaves?

3. Buy this bagger and buy a used less powerful (br 380, 420, 500, 550,etc) blower?

I just don't want to buy the bagger then find out that I'd rather have a nicer blower, or vice versa, my current blower is a handheld "weedeater" blower that is old but still works.

Thanks so much guys, and God Bless you all big time!
Attached Images

If then God so clothe the grass, wich is today in the field, and tomorrow is cast into the oven; how much more [will he clothe] you, O ye of little faith? (Luke 12:28)

For if we live, we live to the Lord, and if we die, we die to the Lord. So then, whether we live or whether we die, we are the Lord's. (Romans 14:8)
Old 03-22-2010, 09:49 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

i dont use my bagger for leaves but thats because i have a BR600 and a leafloader. i would probably get a BR600 and then save up for the bagger if you still want it
61'' Scag V-Ride 29 HP Kawi
48" Exmark Lazer Z HP
48'' Bobcat Ransome Mower
21'' Husqvarna Mower
Stihl FS55R Weedwacker
Stihl FS100RX Weedwacker
Stihl BR600 Backpack Blower
Stihl MS180C Chainsaw
Giant Vac Walk Behind Blower
Kawasaki KHT600S Hedge Trimmer
Giant Vac 16HP Leaf Loader
Old 03-22-2010, 09:54 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

That's a great price for that setup. The bagger alone is $500 and I think the extender runs about $200. They are universal for the most part but have different capacity sizes. From the looks of what you have there it's one of the smaller ones. I have the XL model and without the extender its about as big as that one. You may want to call them directly and verify it will fit your machine. As for the mount, it's universal and nothing more than "L" channel with a hole in the front which a pin on the bagger fits in. Very simply design. I absolutely love mine and would suggest you snag it at that price if it fits.
- Custom striping roller
- Pingel fuel filter
- Custom FIMCO boomless spray rig

1989 John Deer 1070 Compact Tractor - 40hp/4WD
- 70 series loader
- 506 rotary mower
- box scraper
- 84" plow w/full hydo
- ballast box
- aux lights

1993 John Deere Gator 6x4
- HD Field Trax tires
- brush/fender guards
- hydraulic dump bed w/storage and bed cover
- 2" receiver hitch
- HD front suspension
Old 03-22-2010, 10:08 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

i would probably say get the br600...the accelerator doesn't hold much although the one you are looking at is a very very good price...we have an accelerator, probably the mid size without the extender, and it doesn't hold many leaves and even with the extender it would get very bulky and really annoying making that many trips back to the truck, i know they are aluminum but they are heavier than you would expect...getting a machine to chop up the leaves is the best route whether it's blowing them into a pile then sucking them up or mowing them with a mower that has a bagging system that chops them up as well

that being said buying an accelerator isn't a bad choice, we use ours all the time but for leaf clean-ups it's not the best, still doable though...
Old 03-22-2010, 10:12 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

after looking at dwost's post i might have to agree, accelerators are expensive, he's right that setup is probably around 700 so at that price it might just be worth buying even if you ended up not using it as much...do call accelerator tho and make sure it will fit, when we bought ours they asked what machine it will be going on, so yes it does matter but as dwost said they are mostly universal
Old 03-22-2010, 10:50 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

I don't think the opening is big enough for the mower deck, it looks like a simple removable plate though, can I just buy a replacement plate for the discharge mount?

One that came off a advantage deck (61" Turf Tiger) looks like this...
Attached Images

If then God so clothe the grass, wich is today in the field, and tomorrow is cast into the oven; how much more [will he clothe] you, O ye of little faith? (Luke 12:28)

For if we live, we live to the Lord, and if we die, we die to the Lord. So then, whether we live or whether we die, we are the Lord's. (Romans 14:8)
Old 03-22-2010, 10:58 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Yup, that looks like mine but a bit shorter in length. I think you are correct, the one you are looking at probably won't fit as the opening is way too small. As for buying a replacement mount bar I'm sure you can get one direct from Accelerator.
- Custom striping roller
- Pingel fuel filter

- 70 series loader
- 506 rotary mower
- box scraper
- 84" plow w/full hydo
- ballast box
- aux lights

- HD Field Trax tires
- brush/fender guards
- 2" receiver hitch
- HD front suspension
Old 03-22-2010, 11:09 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

I'm not talking about the mount bar as much as the opening for the grass to go in the bag (or is that called the mount bar?). Anyway, I sent accelerator an email, but I hope they could understand it, any more opinions on the bagger vs. the leaf blower, or either one in general?

Thanks again guys, God Bless.

Old 03-22-2010, 11:22 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

My bad, no the mount bar is what mounts on the mower. You are talking about replacing the opening. I'm sure you can do it if you can weld aluminum.
- Custom striping roller
- Pingel fuel filter

- 70 series loader
- 506 rotary mower
- box scraper
- 84" plow w/full hydo
- ballast box
- aux lights

- HD Field Trax tires
- brush/fender guards
- 2" receiver hitch
- HD front suspension
Old 03-23-2010, 07:59 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

I just found out that this is not a accelerator bagger. No wonder it was so cheap

Thanks anyway guys, God Bless

Tags
accelerator bagger , bagger , grass catcher , grass collector , grass packer