Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 01-28-2003, 12:25 PM
LawnSite Member

Battling Negative Perceptions in Marketplace

Our business is in it first year, as we are still in the setup phase. We do have a few commercial accounts in which we begin in March.

Our business is located in a small town. My partner has had problems with drugs in the past, however this was 10 years ago and today he is fine. I know, because he is my brother.

However, a negative perception of him still exist in the town and my wife, our salesperson, has received various negative comments directed at this very issue, when she approaches business.

His work is excellent and I am confident we will exceed our customers excepetions. How do you overcome this perception to inable us to compete in our marketplace?

If the drug problem still existed, that would be one thing. However, it doesn't.
Old 01-28-2003, 01:44 PM
LawnSite Member

hmmm, that can be a tough situation.

my first advice would be to be 'calm' about it. when people point fingers and make comments, take it in stride, if you or brother gets upset and 'hotheaded' will only feed them finger pointers.

good luck
Old 01-28-2003, 01:47 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

AELawns,

You can't change what people will think about your brother. Sometimes people like to dwell on the negative. Giving that you can choose to focus on the positive. and that is your work.

Allow your work to speek for itself. Don't get caught up in the hype. Make sure that everyone is professional, kind, and friendly.

You say it's a small town, then tell your brother everything he does is under the microsope. Sad to say but for right now that's how it's it. He can't do anything crazy in public. Be low key and let your business grow. Also look into expanding your business in the next town where you can allow your company to breathe.

But do good work and your company will be fine.

Two Cents: Down the road, Get into some PR things like sponsoring a little league team, Church functions, Boy Scouts, etc. Let your company name get out there.
Old 01-28-2003, 04:12 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

10 years and he's still getting the "evil eye"? Whoa, that must be a small town that likes to whisper a lot behind someone's back.

It's probably good that your wife takes care of sales...she may be in a better position to defuse this issue when it arises with a potential client. Your problem though is you can't keep your brother in the closet with no exposure to your customers.

I would just offer that you do the very best job you can do. Plug on and maybe stay away from those who still harbour some bad feeling about your brother's action 10 years ago.

Advice given about getting into PR and community-oriented activities/social functions is a great idea I think.
Old 01-28-2003, 04:17 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally posted by rodfather
Advice given about getting into PR and community-oriented activities/social functions is a great idea I think.
my thoughts exactly. Have get involved in the community to show that he is a changed person
Old 01-28-2003, 05:08 PM
LawnSite Member

Just have your wife talk about all the "positives" in your brothers life now when talking to potential clients. People do change.
Old 01-28-2003, 05:18 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Re: Battling Negative Perceptions in Marketplace

Quote:
Originally posted by AELawn
Our business is in it first year, as we are still in the setup phase. We do have a few commercial accounts in which we begin in March.

Our business is located in a small town. My partner has had problems with drugs in the past, however this was 10 years ago and today he is fine. I know, because he is my brother.

However, a negative perception of him still exist in the town and my wife, our salesperson, has received various negative comments directed at this very issue, when she approaches business.

His work is excellent and I am confident we will exceed our customers excepetions. How do you overcome this perception to inable us to compete in our marketplace?

If the drug problem still existed, that would be one thing. However, it doesn't.
A disguise!
Old 01-28-2003, 05:56 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

So how is the business represented and sold? How do people know that your brother is involved? If your brother has been clean and well behaved and done positive things for 10 years I think most folks would focus on that IF they knew anything about and would let that be their guide.

Something doesn't smell right here.
Old 01-28-2003, 06:25 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

family.......first & formost

Consider the source, most likely those who are inclined to continue with negative comments, are those who would would not want as customers or friends. You and your family are doing the right thing. Maintain you cool, stay professional, treat everyone with respect, continue with positive support, do quality work and get the biz involved in the community ... with regards
devildog