Register free!

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 04-07-2010, 10:13 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Blades won't engage Correctly-Scag Walk Behind

I have a 52" Advantage deck Scag walk behind, whenever I try to engage the blades the mower sounds like it tries to get them going but a belt doesn't catch or doesn't have enough power or something. It makes the initial sound of starting the blades, but then sounds like they just get shut off. Sometimes I have to pull the pto switch three or four times to get the blades to engage completely.

This began happening recently while I was preforming a spring cleanup for a lady with a LOT of trash, sticks, rock, etc. in her yard, I'm sure I hit some but not anything to seriously damage the mower. I also have a bit of orange twine (from a straw bale) wrapped around the blade and spindles, but I don't think that would hurt anything.

It couldn't be any safety switches or bad connections because the blade wouldn't begin to engage if there was a bad connection, right?

Also, the belts are tight, maybe too tight, I don't have any tool to measure them, is there a way to tell by hand?

Has anyone had this problem or know how to fix it? Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks and God Bless you all!
If then God so clothe the grass, wich is today in the field, and tomorrow is cast into the oven; how much more [will he clothe] you, O ye of little faith? (Luke 12:28)

For if we live, we live to the Lord, and if we die, we die to the Lord. So then, whether we live or whether we die, we are the Lord's. (Romans 14:8)

Tags
clutch , engage blade , pto , scag , walk behind