Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 01-18-2010, 03:37 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

A 140 or 870 will work out great for snowplowing. The township my ranch is in uses 2 872s and the extra traction does help, but they're pushing v-plows on the front lift group. That said, they're the government and have money to burn. If do start looking at 6wd graders i think deere has the best system, especially the older deeres compared to older cats.
Old 04-08-2010, 01:32 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

Alright, bringing this thread back. I've been looking at a lot of graders recently, and while I'd really like a cat g series, the price these things bring is unreal. So, what do you think is a better buy, an older higher hour cat g series, or a slightly newer(90's era) john deere/champion with lower hours?

Whatever I end up with I plan on going through it front to back and reconditioning whatever needs attention. I don't expect it'll get a ton of hours every year, but I plan on running it forever basically and need something reliable.
Old 04-08-2010, 05:54 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

I was a little off earlier a 870 is closer to 160/14 than a 140. If you wanna look at deere, $50K should fetch a 770CH or really nice 770B. If you want an AWD i saw several 772B's for under $50K and one kinda rough looking 772CH on machinery trader. I have no knowledge of the B series, reliability, parts availability ect, but i do know that my townships really liked there CH's and D's. Champion was bought by Volvo CE sometime ago so any Volvo dealer should be able to do parts/service. Champion now makes compact graders. One of which specs against the retired Deere 570 and can be had in AWD, but i digress.