Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 04-09-2010, 07:21 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rcslawncare View Post
Had a ranger also, had the 3.0 V6. Power of a 4 Cylinder and gas milage of a V8. Get the F-150. Much more capable truck.
I agree!!!!
Old 04-09-2010, 07:22 PM
LawnSite Gold Member

Ranger is junk. The cab is tiny no room for record keeping. The bed is tiny no room to even get mulch or sod. The MPG are a joke. If you get a F150 do not buy anything older then 99 in the 4.2. 97-98 had many issues with the gaskets and the transmissions in 97 are year specific. If I were you I would buy a 4.6 f150 because the mileage will be better towing. I have a 6x12 and two 4.2 v6 f150's and I manage to get about 9mpg around town towing. With my Silverado 4.3 I get 11mpg. With a 4.6 explorer towing I was managing 11-13. With the diesel in my avator I got 15mpg all towing the same trailer with same driving habits.
Old 04-09-2010, 07:24 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

I don't see how they sell Rangers now that the prices are so high. Like I said before you can get a bare bones F150 reg cab with an auto and a V8 for 16K or so. Just have to shop and talk to the fleet managers. they sell the fleet vehicles to companies not the average joe.
Old 04-09-2010, 07:28 PM
LawnSite Gold Member

You guys dont have this range in, um Rangers do you? 3Lt common rain turbo diesel would tow without a drama.
Ive said it before and I'll say it again, you lot need the small diesel trucks.
http://www.ford.com.au/servlet/Conte...=FOA&c=DFYPage
Old 04-10-2010, 11:40 AM
LawnSite Gold Member

For some reasons the small diesel don't make it here? I guess many Americans just look at the figure on the gas station sign and get scared because its 10 cents more? Its almost impossible to even buy a Benz in a diesel here anymore.
Old 04-10-2010, 01:00 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Once Mahindra comes into North America with a Ranger sized pickup with a small crew cab and DIESEL for a fair price, I'm sure others (mainly domestics) will catch on fast. So far Jeep has been the only one to try to sell a domestic light duty diesel vehicle. VM Motori makes tons of diesels under 4L in size, and down to 1.5L variants but they're not emissions compliant on this continent

Ranger is essentially the last of a dying breed - COMPACT TRUCK. For the price variation the F150 is the way to go. Only if parking space is tight, would you benefit from the Ranger, but again, you wouldn't want to take it on long freeway slogs with the family either. However in base 2.3L form, it's rather efficient - for a 'truck'.