Register free!

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Old 04-10-2010, 03:58 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Finally!

Cat finally came out with a fix for the two main issues I have had with my machine. Cabin filter and air filter getting clogged in a very short time in dusty conditions.
Attached Images

2013 Cat 299D XHP

Bobcat Flail Cutter
84" Custom Built Scarifier
84" Custom Built Mini Dozer Blade/Grapple Bucket
84" Custom Built Ripper/Ring Roller
84" Level Best Dual Slope Box Grader with Power Masts

http://happytrack.com/html/track_0.html
Old 04-10-2010, 04:53 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

They look... ehhh...

but do they work?
Old 04-10-2010, 05:32 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

the one for the cabin filter looks like a snorkel for a truck.. and frankly it looks cheap and out of place..

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobcat_ron View Post

Just run the god damn sh*t out of the machine and the hell with all the other crap, make money instead of worrying about crap that only accountants think about!
Old 04-10-2010, 05:55 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Junior M View Post
the one for the cabin filter looks like a snorkel for a truck.. and frankly it looks cheap and out of place..
When they told me a year ago that they were working on a snorkle I wondered how they would do it. There is not much clearence between the cab and boom. They did an excellent job. The whole assemblly is well built and they even improved on how the new cover seals against the filter.

As far as how it looks, I could care a less what it looks like as long as it works. And it works great. I used it in very silty conditions for a couple of hours yesterday and checked the cabin filter after I was done and it was clean as a whistle.

The biggest problem before with the cabin filter was that the intake grill was right next to the tracks and the tracks would throw the silty dirt into the intake grill and the filter would clog up quickly.

2013 Cat 299D XHP

Bobcat Flail Cutter

Old 04-10-2010, 06:30 PM
LawnSite Gold Member

on the outside air filter, that's a little different than the snorkel they gave me. For the guys who work in the woods, I wonder how long it would last with branches and such when the boom arms are up?
The engine air filter seems like a good idea but what about heated material going the other way? There is suction in the air filter. Seems like on idle, the engine could pull more air through the exhaust or is that a one way valve I see? Interesting idea, though.

I am glad I didn't wait that long, though, for a final fix to the same issues. My 272c was purchased 4-08... I do miss a lot about that machine but not the dust.

"Life is tough, but it's tougher if you're stupid."

Twitter @Cedar_Clearing
Old 04-10-2010, 06:59 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by YellowDogSVC View Post
on the outside air filter, that's a little different than the snorkel they gave me. For the guys who work in the woods, I wonder how long it would last with branches and such when the boom arms are up?
The engine air filter seems like a good idea but what about heated material going the other way? There is suction in the air filter. Seems like on idle, the engine could pull more air through the exhaust or is that a one way valve I see? Interesting idea, though.

I am glad I didn't wait that long, though, for a final fix to the same issues. My 272c was purchased 4-08... I do miss a lot about that machine but not the dust.

CASE has had the engine air filter system like that since at least 06. The snorkle thing really looks cheap, but I guess if it works thats all that matters.

Proudly running CASE and Takeuchi equipment.
Old 04-10-2010, 07:33 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

I guess in the picture the snorkle looks a little weak but in person it is well built, the plastic material is at least 1/4" thick.

The snorkle was designed to bolt directly onto the mesh of the cab at three locations but since I cut all of that out, the Cat tech made those two straps to mount it to the cab. I am always the first one to modify something if I don't like the way it is designed but that snorkle is mounted solidly enough that I am contemplating cutting that third mounting tab off of the snorkle so that it doesn't look unfinished.

2013 Cat 299D XHP

Bobcat Flail Cutter

Old 04-10-2010, 07:38 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by YellowDogSVC View Post

I do believe it is some type of one-way valve.

2013 Cat 299D XHP

Bobcat Flail Cutter

Old 04-10-2010, 07:41 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Not sure if the Aspirator that CAT uses is the same CASE uses, the Donaldson air filter assembly is the same. The aspirator system is awesome. I changed out my air filter this Spring on my 440 which does all the rock raking (very dusty), I got 500 hours out of the filter I just replaced. The aspirator is that effective.

Proudly running CASE and Takeuchi equipment.
Old 04-10-2010, 07:43 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Looks really good to me, I bet they have something like that for the B series too, I can see that snorkel working for the B's, unless you flip the filter to the inside of the cab and seal off the outside opening.

http://www.youtube.com/user/69rd96