Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 04-10-2010, 02:30 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

The excalibur will clump in the wet but the deck overall is good. the 66" is terrible on a hill or ditch and has virtually no trim abillity. but it is decent in open mowing.
Old 04-10-2010, 09:17 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

Richard, what's that yellow thing on the left (sitting on it) of the mower?
Old 04-10-2010, 05:28 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

nice pics. I recognize the truck in background! thats Rick Martins old faithful! sweet
Old 04-10-2010, 05:35 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

oh , and the ZTR advice. You know.. all mowers have good points. I would list the closest dealers to you and let people point out the good ones from that list.

mower is only as good as the service and parts , and the time it takes to fix them (yep all brands need some fixin sooner or later.)
Old 04-10-2010, 07:02 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by ALC-GregH View Post
Richard, what's that yellow thing on the left (sitting on it) of the mower?
Of all of the tricks in my bag, and there's a few of them, that one is the last I will reveal on Lawnsite. I have some cool posts I going to put up in the future. That will be the last.

Old 04-10-2010, 08:14 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

looks like your secret is out now! theres also an extra caster wheel superglued to the left deck!
Old 04-10-2010, 09:06 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

I owned a Dixie Chopper for about 8 months, just sold it about a month ago actually. It was a 2009 Classic 3360HP.

Pros....The mower was fast and could cut fast, still left a pretty good cut too. I very rarely had clumps and the clippings were usually well spread out. The ride on mine was actually pretty nice, but mostly thanks to the springer forks and suspension seat. Things were pretty easy to access as far as servicability, some spots were a little tight but for the most part everything was easy to get to. The fans that are mounted on top of the side pulleys on the deck are very helpful to keep the deck cleaner. Overall, everything is very solidly built and built like it is built to last. Though I never used the warranty, they do have one of the better warranties out there.

Cons....The mower has very little trim edge on the deck which was somewhat a pain when I wanted to get close to some things, and for the mower being a 60", it has less of a trim edge than my new 54" mower. The mower sits up higher making it a little less stable on hills. I thought it did well going sideways on hills since the mower is so wide...but going up hills is a little nerve wracking since it is a very short mower in length. The mowers are very jerky without the dampeners, but that would have to be something you would get used to. The amount of blade choices (x-blades, magic mulchers, double blades) is great, allows you to have really adjust to almost any mowing condition. I also didn't particularly care for the placement of the height indicator, it was right were I wanted to put my foot and I had the electric deck lift so there was no foot lift.

I was very undecided about the rear tires (the bar type tires). For the most part they didn't do any lawn damage but on some lawns that were a little thinner, they did a little more damage than a regular tire.

After owning the mower I would give it a 7 or 7.5 out of 10 rating. It was a good mower but could definately use some improvements.
John Deere walkbehind
81"x18' trailer
Stihl handhelds
Old 04-11-2010, 03:37 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cboy7 View Post

looks like your secret is out now! theres also an extra caster wheel superglued to the left deck!
It was always there to see. Now the real question is... What does it do? It started life as one thing but now it's another.

As far as the extra caster. There's a ton of deep swales and ditches here. It primary purpose is to keep the deck from scalping when I go down into those areas.

Old 04-11-2010, 09:16 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Richard Martin View Post
Of all of the tricks in my bag, and there's a few of them, that one is the last I will reveal on Lawnsite. I have some cool posts I going to put up in the future. That will be the last.
That's F'ed up Richard. Never mind then if you think you have some fancy little trick that you feel you can't share. Screw that $hit dude.
Old 04-11-2010, 09:23 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

My advice after owning Dixie Choppers for the last 15+yrs is look around some before you spend. They are not the quality that they had a few years ago. And with all the corporate changes they are making it is going to be interesting to see how it plays out wether they will be around or bought out.

On the excalibur I have owned that machine and I got rid of it after the first season.

Tags
exmark , lawncare , mulch , scag , trailer