Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 01-31-2003, 10:50 PM
LawnSite Member

PRICING

TIME IS MONEY. You have to be fair to your customers but also to yourself. I can tell how much time I will need to spent at a property and price accordingly. I dont figure an hourly rate. I price each job as they come. Some yards are roughly the same size but one may have more obstacles,trimming, or other time consuming areas that I would take into account when pricing.When I first started in the biz I thought I was overcharging everbody, but looking back now I was undercharging. It is not worth taking your equipment of the trailer if you are charging $25.00 for a $50.00 property

Good Luck,
MikeJ
Old 02-01-2003, 10:31 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

I would have to disagree with brucec32 on nothing to do in the winter. Just trying to keep up with the pruning is enough to keep one going all winter. Don't get me wrong if ya like being off in the winter that is great. But my point is that here in the south most of your pruning should be done in the winter.

I have seen the crews out to just collect that cash, but they may not no better. I'm still behind with myrtles, lirope, and pompass.

My winter services exsist because of the pruning. I might not be at each property as long as in the growing season and nobody seems to mind.

Brucec32 good point about pricing each job. I ran into that sf2 thing before and kicked myself in the butt. obsticles are a big part of the time factor.
Old 02-02-2003, 07:40 AM
LawnSite Silver Member

To undersore Turfmans comment which is right on....whatever you decide on for your hourly (internal) rate(which I NEVER quote to a client) you must make darn sure SOMEBODY is paying for the time you are behind the windshield, picking up supplies for a job, preparing an estimate, et etc etc etc.
In my bidding scheme,the next account is the one who pays the travel time it averages about $10 because I keep the route very tight.

We are truly only selling time, for profit...and therfore every minute of every hour needs to be accounted for, and if possible, billed against a particular job..(in theory of course...but not possible all the time)...I have friend who was complaining about his lack of revenue after working 60 hours a week as a handy man...told him to keep a detailed work diary in his truck and write EVERTYTHING he did everyday for 2 weeks and then compare that to his billables.....he was shocked at how much money he letting fall thru the cracks...bottom line...if you're working 12 hours a day and billing out 6, you wont be around long