Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 04-11-2010, 04:36 PM
LawnSite Member

Deck height issues with John Deere X748 w/ 7 Iron Deck

I recently bought a used John Deere X748 with a 7 Iron Deck and when my deck setting is set at 2.5", the actual height of the blade is at about 1.5". So my deck adjustment is about an inch off from what I can tell.

Direction #4 reads before making any adjustments, "Check that the lift arm (A) does not contact the frame stop (B). If needed, adjust yokes (C) on both sides of mower until there is a slight gap of 1.6 mm (1/16 in.) on both sides."

And I did this just so there was the slightest gap possible.

Direction #9 says for adjusting height side to side,

"Adjust yoke:

• Turn yoke (C) counterclockwise to lower mower deck.

• Attach yoke to lift arm with drilled pin and spring locking pin."

It doesn't say how to raise it if needed and I know I can't raise it by adjusting the yokes because they are as high as they can be with out having the lift arms touch the frame as stated in direction #4.

Any Suggestions? Thanks in advance.

Ben
Old 04-11-2010, 05:46 PM
LawnSite Gold Member

Your tire pressure is correct and your measuring on an absolutely level surface.
The X595/X748 generally come with a yellow deck that was probably more shallow than the 7iron. The 7iron was a later addition.

Thinking a little out the box but can you remove and or adjust the actual dial?
Maybe paint (or use some contact) over the dial and write the "correct" heights on it. I know this sounds a bit redneck but would be a quick easy fix! That is if you have the deck adjusted to the absolute max to correct height.
Old 04-12-2010, 01:07 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Try adjusting the yoke on the front of the deck (the thing that goes from the bracket under the front end to the "hooks" at the front of the deck) it's sorta shaped like this [. There should be two nuts that you can adjust the height of the front of the deck.

The best way to get an accurate cutting height measurement is to turn all the blades so that they are all perpendicular in relation to the front axle and take your measurements from the tips of the blades at the front of the deck. This way you are mastering the height at lowest point of the blade's path. If all you do is adjust the back of the deck you aren't doing anything to adjust where the blades are at their lowest point.

One thing that I did that really helps me when I'm adjusting/ leveling my deck was to take a piece of 1X1 and cut it about 5" long. Then I made cut a shallow groove with a hand saw at exactly 4" ( or what ever works for you) so that I could hook the cutting edge into the grove and when the other end of the stick is flat on the floor the deck is in adjustment. Once you get one height setting correct all the others will be as well.

'99 Dodge Ram 2500 reg cab long bed
'91 JD Lx172 38"/ bagger
'11 JD X300 48"
22'' '66 Western Auto Wizard
21"push mower/w bagger
Stihl KM 90 w/trimmer,tiller, and hedge trimmer
Husquvarna BT130
MTD 3.5 HP edger
AgraFab 17 cb ft trailer
Precise-Fit Areator
Random dethacher
Precise-Fit lawn sweeper