Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 04-12-2010, 10:39 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

Repair stripped threads in Walker Deck gearbox

One of the 1/4-20 screws that connects the tube to the right angle gearbox on the Walker deck is stripped so oil leaks out. Is there a way to fix this. I was planning on tapping the hole out to an 8mm bolt. It looked to me like this was the next largest size of standard bolt. Is this the preferred method or is there another preferred method such as helicoil. Thanks.
2-Walker 20 HP GHS, 1-Walker 26 hp GHS, 1-Walker 23 hp GHS, 42 and 48 GHS decks, 42 mulch deck, 42 discharge deck, 3-Honda WB, 3 Shind Trimmers, Stihl BR600 blower, Shind 260 edger, Two Shind Multi-tool with artic. clippers and chainsaw, Redmax 8000 blower, Redmax 7001 blower, Shind 803 Blower, Spyker walk spreader, sprayer for Walker mower, 3-Stihl chainsaws.
Old 04-12-2010, 12:54 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Walker leaking Gear Box

Mcambrose, go ahead and drill and tap the hole to the next larger size. We have done this in the past. Just ensure that you coat the threads from all of the bolts with Form A Gasket sealer to ensure that there is no chance of any future leaks.

Eric
Old 04-12-2010, 05:51 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

I did the same thing to all my bolts connecting the gearboxes on the side discharge deck a couple years ago & they're still all tight. I think I went to a 5/16" bolt instead of 8mm. I put gasket seal on the seams and the bolts. It worked great. Make sure you get your blades in the right timing if you take it all apart. It is very easy to screw them up if you're not carefull.