Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 04-13-2010, 06:43 AM
LawnSite Member

Groundsmaster 4000-D Overheating Problems

I have a Toro Groundsmaster 4000D with approx 1000 hours (bought second user). After approx 10-20 minutes of work, the motor starts to lose power and stall. The temperature guage climbs rapidly and the coolant starts to boil.

I have blown all debris free from the radiators and checked that the fan belt is correctly tensioned. I have flushed out the cooling system and replaced the coolant.

Any ideas?

Thanks
James
Old 04-13-2010, 01:31 PM
Sponsor

James;
Check the operation of the Fan Clutch. It should engage when the machine gets warm, and will cycle on and off. You can hear the fan when it engages.

For additional help and information, you can contact you local authorized Comercial Products dealer or the Distributor for UK. It is the Lely Company. Here is the link:http://www.lely.com/turfcare_uk/

Regards;
Eric Baumeister
The Toro Company
Old 04-18-2010, 07:30 PM
LawnSite Member

Sounds like a cracked head
Old 09-16-2010, 03:11 PM
LawnSite Member

can you tell me what degree thermostat the 4000D (60 hp Kubota) is supposed to have ?

what temp does the safety switch shut down the engine at..?

is it possible to change the factory temp gauge with a numerical one ..?
Old 09-17-2010, 05:28 PM
Sponsor

The thermostat starts to open at 160 deg F., then fully open about 180 deg F.
The safety Switch is calibrated to shut the engine down at 220 deg F. on the 2008 and older models. 2009 and newer utilize different systems. I assume you are requesting info for the 2008 and older machines.
We do not offer a mechanical gauge. If you so desire to change it, then you would need to source it locally.

As additional information, you can go to www.toro.com and download a free service manual if you desire. The manuals have all the information in them!

Regards,
Eric Baumeister
The Toro Company

Last edited by The Toro Company; 09-17-2010 at 05:30 PM. Reason: Added information
Old 09-18-2010, 01:39 PM
LawnSite Member

thanks.. i'll do that..
Old 03-15-2011, 07:52 AM
LawnSite Member

over heating

Why did it take so many years before Toro's R&D people did something about the Groundsmaster's over heating problems on 4100D & 4000D? I have both and if you don't have great coditions you have trouble with over heating because of plugged screens in front of radiator.
Old 03-21-2011, 05:01 PM
Sponsor

Crawford_d,

An older Gm4000/4100 will operate normally without any overheating problems with proper maintenance. Depending on conditions this could mean the air intake screen will need to be cleaned more often due to debris accumulation. More times than not the radiator itself is partially plugged so debris on the rear screen adds to the problem because the radiator cannot work efficiently.

There are still plenty of Gm4000/4100 operating perfectly in the field that do not have a reversing fan.

The Toro Company
Old 03-22-2011, 06:57 AM
LawnSite Member

radiator

Your right I almost forgot I was going to remove my radiators this spring and make sure (boil out) they are clean. I don't mow golf courses I do rougher work where the screen requires cleaning every 10 minutes under poor conditions. So yes you could be right but with rear discharge decks, dry conditions, dandelions, cottenwoods trees, and cutting at 4-5ins. with large amounts of clippings it can be frustrating.
Old 04-19-2011, 03:46 PM
LawnSite Member

Sounds like a typical Toro.... Any of their Diesel units don't seem to hold up regardless of how rigorous your maintenance program is!!!! That's is definitely a head issue, send it out to get checked at your local machine shop!!! Been through this one, one to many times.... Just to bad I bought 5 units at one time..... Someone forgot to tell them they have to do more than just put a sticker on the units saying they are "commercial"!!!!!

Tags
4000d , groundsmaster , overheating