The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 04-17-2010, 09:37 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

Thanks for your input. I really.can't stand the Wright dealer here
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 04-17-2010, 09:59 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

I think standers are possibly the best backyard mowers available. Say you can only have a 32" dech mower go through the gate but the yard is large. A stander would destroy a walk behind.
Old 04-17-2010, 11:08 PM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dishboy View Post
No , but I see no reason to let my hard work, testing, research, and nearly thirty years of observation go out there on the internet when I have a machine that cuts better than any midsize machine on the market., and at short cut heights ! I have started picking up jobs because of this machine.
So, do you mow in the dark of night, or with camo cladding on the machine ie Detroit when testing mules?? I can understand your position, but this is a community of fellow lawnsmen, you can be a bit more civil when communicating your position. When your product gets licensed to a manufacturer and is advertisied then we will see it and produce 'very close facsimiles' of it for personal use as not to profit but to have the greatest invention since the lawnmower itself and we'll think of you every time and while we're enjoying a cold one for having better-cut lawns in less time!
Old 04-18-2010, 03:54 AM
LawnSite Member

Not to bash anyone but why buy a stand on when the turf tracer is
the same just ground speeds are different. I know they made it to compete
with other stand on but why not up the ground speed and turf tracer.
I have no trouble with my but would like to see them improve it and make as fast
as the stand on since them both share same engines now.
Old 04-18-2010, 09:43 AM
LawnSite Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by fredmullegun View Post
I think standers are possibly the best backyard mowers available. Say you can only have a 32" dech mower go through the gate but the yard is large. A stander would destroy a walk behind.
Unfortunately a heavy machine and rider on skinny tires is a recipe for a lost account with a picky homeowner and it surely will not bring the neighbors running to hire Ron's Rutting Lawn Service.
Old 04-18-2010, 10:17 AM
LawnSite Silver Member

For what its worth I just picked up a grandstand and this thing is pretty cool. My only complaint is it is not easy to operate at first, so you are not giving it to the new guy. After a few hours you will be proficient at it. I disagree with the hillside stability. This machine held every hill we have and few are pretty sketchy. You need to ride it though. It is no WB. With that said it is slightly faster than our 60 ZTR only because of the faster handling. Sometimes a 60 is just too big. Overall it handles great, but like a ZTR the operator needs to exert caution and discretion when getting into hills.
Attached Images

Old 04-18-2010, 12:50 PM
LawnSite Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by shovelracer View Post
For what its worth I just picked up a grandstand and this thing is pretty cool. My only complaint is it is not easy to operate at first, so you are not giving it to the new guy. After a few hours you will be proficient at it. I disagree with the hillside stability. This machine held every hill we have and few are pretty sketchy. You need to ride it though. It is no WB. With that said it is slightly faster than our 60 ZTR only because of the faster handling. Sometimes a 60 is just too big. Overall it handles great, but like a ZTR the operator needs to exert caution and discretion when getting into hills.
It cuts fine but the MASSIVE wheel tracks suck !
Old 04-18-2010, 01:33 PM
LawnSite Member

Can someone explain to me what a stand on can do, that a walkbehind or ztr can't do?
It has allready been stated that it can't replace a walkbind mower, so It seems like money in the toilet. Not bashing anyone, I just can't figure out why someone would spend $8000 dollars more to cut grass, but you can't cut out any of your other mowers.
Old 04-18-2010, 02:33 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mowerman11 View Post
Can someone explain to me what a stand on can do, that a walkbehind or ztr can't do?
It has allready been stated that it can't replace a walkbind mower, so It seems like money in the toilet. Not bashing anyone, I just can't figure out why someone would spend $8000 dollars more to cut grass, but you can't cut out any of your other mowers.
Well when comparing a wright stand-on (which in my opinion is the best stand-on) to a ztr it's about 4-500 lbs lighter, more manueverable, shorter and much more versatile. I can't figure out where a ztr is better in any category except maybe top speed.

And my wright most certainly does replace a w/b, I personally don't have any hills that I feel a w/b would be better suited. I'm going to be much less tired at the end of the day, if you add a sulky to your walkbehind well then my wright is going to be half the length of that train your riding on, my wright is going to be much easier through the bumpy lawns also compared to your bone jarring sulky. The only reason for me to have a w/b is to fit through narrow gates.

I'm sure I can come up with some more reasons why a wright is the way to go but i'll save those for later.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 04-18-2010, 02:43 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greenery View Post
... I'm sure I can come up with some more reasons why a wright is the way to go but i'll save those for later. ...
If you start a thread on this topic please inform me.

Of all the mowers I like the quality of cut that the Toro mowers provide. When it comes down to it my comfort, mowing speed or ease of use is secondary to cut quality. If the Wright mowers can match Toro's quality of cut then I'd love to own one. Otherwise, I'm looking hard at the Grandstand.