Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 04-19-2010, 10:02 AM
LawnSite Member

New Ferris 1500z- is this normal??

Hello- new here. I just bought a new Ferris 1500z, 53", 25 HP Kawi, and am a little concerned. The dealer did not do a full set-up of the thing, which is a separate topic altogether, but in setting it up, I see a couple of things that concern me.

1. When leveling the deck, I end up with the rear adjust bolt in two very different heights in the slots. One side is almost all the way down in the slot, and the other side is almost near the top. That means that there is over an inch in side-to-side difference in the deck hanging "system" . Anyone else have a similar result, or is something off in the fabrication of my unit possibly?

2. In setting the stops for the hydro-motor control arms, in order to have it track a straight line, I end up the right stop all the way in, and the left backed out amost 3/8" (yes, tire pressure is all good). That leads me to think there is a significant performace difference between the left and right drive systems. I would expect them to not be exact, but am concerned to see so much of a difference.

I appreciate anyone who can shed some light with their own experiences.

Thanks,

Mike
Old 04-19-2010, 10:21 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

Unfortunately all that probably is normal, even thou it shouldn't be, but it probably is.

Side effects of shiddy workmanship, worse still when
considering it's probably done mostly by robots (literally).

You could, just to be sure, swing past the dealer and ask them, seeing how it's under warranty.
I probably would, but you might be out of a mower for a few days and then again it might make no difference.
Old 04-19-2010, 10:53 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

I would have to agree with that is the way it is..In an earlier post I mention I bought one and suggest I just couldn't get it to cutt like I like. Which I don't require a perfect cut. You might search on the threads because there has been topics on setting them up.
Old 04-19-2010, 10:54 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

I will add the year I had it if I kept the tires aired up to the max plus a couple of pounds it did better on the cut
Old 04-19-2010, 01:34 PM
LawnSite Member

I stopped at the dealer and talked the service guy (who never bothered to set it up in the first place) and he said that this is typical, although more out isde-to-side than normal. I think it is more than normal fab tolerances and that my frame is probably bent or warped more than typical weld warping.
Old 04-20-2010, 08:32 PM
LawnSite Member

Why cant you just follow the manual instructions and level the deck yourself?
Old 04-20-2010, 09:49 PM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rogerdodger View Post
Why cant you just follow the manual instructions and level the deck yourself?
I did, and it leveled great, easy to do. Only two problems with that:

1. The dealer should have done the first leveling. They told me it would be delivered leveled, and the hydro controls set. They didn't do it. Not a big deal, but not what I was promised nonetheless.

2. In doing it, I find that that the deck adjusters end up very different from side to side, indicating that the frame, or something else may be out of whack more than I would expect. I understand that the leveling adjustments are there for a reason, and that they will not land in the same place on each side, but to be this far apart seems odd. At least worth looking into.

All that said, the thing runs and mows like a champ. I got really great results with it. I just want to make sure I do not have some underlying issues that could become real issues down the road.
Old 04-21-2010, 06:59 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

I had the same issue with the ferris mowers. I have come to the realization that they warped the deck. That is american manufacturing. I ask the rep about it he told me, it must have been made monday morning or friday afternoon!

Tags
1500 , deck level , ferris