The Green Industry's Resource Center

Old 04-20-2010, 06:39 PM
SummitLawns SummitLawns is offline
LawnSite Member
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Lincoln, NE
Posts: 23

Hey guys I had a few questions that I needed help answering if anyone could help me. I have been doing clean ups and straight mowing for a couple years and now I want to get into fertilizing and chemical work. I have declined doing jobs for people in the the past, but this year I have told a few clients that I could do the a 2 or 3 step fertilizer treatment for them this year. My questions are:
1. Where can I purchase the right kinds of fertilizers in large quantities?
2. How much do I use? (obviously size of yard matters)
3. What time of year do I lay down treatments?
4. Should I use liquid or solid fertilizer?

Any help and answers would be greatly appreciated as I am fairly clueless here. Thanks!
Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2010, 12:19 AM
DitchDr's Avatar
DitchDr DitchDr is offline
LawnSite Senior Member
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Charleston, SC
Posts: 258
#1 make sure you have rider on your insurance to cover it.

#2 contact your state pest control board. See what they require for license to apply it.

#3 Follow the directions on the bags as far as amounts.

#4 I use both liquid and granular.

#5 Do a search for fertilizer supply houses near you.

DO NOT GET CAUGHT putting down anything with out a license..
ANYTHING that has a EPA number on it you have to be covered..

I was stopped by the local EPA today walking out of Pubix with mt lunch. Had to show them my paper work. You know why they wanted to see it? Cause I had a half full bottle of round up in the back of my truck!!!
Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2010, 03:28 AM
SummitLawns SummitLawns is offline
LawnSite Member
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Lincoln, NE
Posts: 23
Awesome thanks I appreciate it! I am already in the process of getting my license at the moment. However what does it mean to have "rider on my insurance"?
Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2010, 08:34 AM
David Haggerty David Haggerty is offline
LawnSite Member
Join Date: Jun 2001
Location: sw Ohio, Wilmington (the wettest place in the state)
Posts: 2,382
Assuming you have a business policy, a rider is an addition to that policy to cover added services you perform like pesticide application.
My policy allows me to apply chemicals if they don't exceeed 10% of my income for no additional charge.
If you don't have commercial insurance you should look into it. It's based on your gross sales so it's affordable to everyone. But shop around. There's a lot of difference in costs. An enormous difference. Don't get discouraged by the first quote you get. There is affordable insurance.

You could put down only fertilizer. But that's no way to treat a lawn. Because you're fertilizing the weeds too.

Pesticide licenses are great. They send you to seminars where college professors of agriculture explain everything you need to know. Don't think it's too tough for you. I've seen guys there that have a hard time operating a pencil. It's a room full of lawn care guys. If I can do it, you can do it.

Lesco is a really good place to get supplies. They give a lot of support and advice to lawn care guys. I've seen homeowners buying there too. But they have a lot of difficulty explaining things to folks who don't have a clue about lawn care. But they're patient. I buy everything there now. Bought some stuff from Lowes once 'cause I didn't want to make the trip to Lesco. Then had to do it over with Lesco products.
Reply With Quote

chemical , fertilizer , spraying , spreader

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump

Layout Style:

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.6
Copyright ©2000 - 2016, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright ©1998 - 2012, LawnSite.comô - Grand View Media
All times are GMT -4. The time now is 07:37 PM.

Page generated in 0.07055 seconds with 10 queries