Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 03-10-2010, 11:57 PM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DJJS View Post
Ohh I saw the fence in the background but didnt know if you installed it or if it was already there, looks good especially for your first. I like the fence installations but i'd much rather the decks/ arbors & paver/wall jobs, more room to be creative with designs
Thanks. That was a project and a half haha had a post hole digger and my small backhoe in there something like 48 posts but at the end of the day customer was super happy and so was I. I agree with you 100% the fence stuff is more tedious and much less creative. Doing walls with integrated steps and planters along with patios thats what I would love to get into although the market is pretty limited for that at the moment.
Old 03-11-2010, 12:04 AM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by slamjamrockinman View Post
Thanks for the advice, that will definately be something I am looking at getting into. I would love to see more pics as well. As far as pavers/hardscape goes, would you say it is worth expanding into?? Granted the economy is decent and you can sell this type of work to clients. Do you notice significantly higher margins as apposed to the maintenance side of your biz? Everyone says that there is much better money in that type of work, I can see how, especially when I crunch the numbers. Let me know if you would rather discuss this through PM's. Again any imput is greatly appreciated!
Posted via Mobile Device
Yea there is defiantly higher margins there with the hardscaping but you have to be efficient as well otherwise you can lose that margin fast, especially with the competition for jobs that exists today. Theres always unexpected stuff that comes up and pricing is key for these kind of jobs. Ill send you some more on this tomorrow gotta get some bills paid right now haha love being the owner of a business.
Old 03-14-2010, 08:40 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Custom Landscape Concepts View Post
Thanks. That was a project and a half haha had a post hole digger and my small backhoe in there something like 48 posts but at the end of the day customer was super happy and so was I. I agree with you 100% the fence stuff is more tedious and much less creative. Doing walls with integrated steps and planters along with patios thats what I would love to get into although the market is pretty limited for that at the moment.
yeah i'd like to get into more of that type of work too but like you said not much demand right now, although last year we did a few decks with arbors/planters built in. One even with a built in covered bar and ran cable tv lines to it, that job took like 20 posts and I thought that was a b*tch to dig by hand. Usually when we do a fence job we rent one of those augers makes it fly by
Old 03-14-2010, 10:27 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Custom Landscape Concepts View Post
Yea there is defiantly higher margins there with the hardscaping but you have to be efficient as well otherwise you can lose that margin fast, especially with the competition for jobs that exists today. Theres always unexpected stuff that comes up and pricing is key for these kind of jobs. Ill send you some more on this tomorrow gotta get some bills paid right now haha love being the owner of a business.
Alright, thanks I really appreciate the inmput.
Old 04-22-2010, 06:19 PM
LawnSite Member

Wow Im finally bringing this thread back to life its been a busy month. We bought out another landscaping company which gave us an additional 20 accounts to add to my 11 and have 4 installs that are ready to start. Also about 250 yds. of bark mulch to get down in my spare time haha. I bought a new truck as well its a 04 Chevy 3500 Diesel Dump which I have no pictures of yet but will defiantly try to get some over the weekend. For now here are some stripes from the first cuts of the season, some of them are a little harder to see into the sun. Ill be out cutting tomorrow and should get some better pics then.

Old 04-23-2010, 09:21 PM
LawnSite Member

New Truck Pics

Here are a few pics of the new rig...04 3500 Diesel

Old 04-23-2010, 09:26 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Man, is that a sweet truck. I'm not trying to be critical, but the only thing I'd change is the height of the rear gussets. It's hard to use the truck to it's full potential with the sides being so low.

Pittsburgh/Western PA Landscapers Networking Thread

For Sale Chevy truck parts
Old 04-23-2010, 09:31 PM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 93Chevy View Post
Man, is that a sweet truck. I'm not trying to be critical, but the only thing I'd change is the height of the rear gussets. It's hard to use the truck to it's full potential with the sides being so low.
Thanks for the complement. I forgot to get a picture of the high sides that came with the truck but they are full stainless steel panels that go up to the top of the body which is awesome but for hauling grass like we do at this point in the season the low sides work a lot better. I will defiantly get a picture when I put the high sides on to start doing bark mulch.
Old 04-23-2010, 09:41 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Cool man. I'd kill to have a truck like that, that bed is immaculate.

Is the underbody box from Highway Equipment, or is it another brand? It matches the bed really well.

Pittsburgh/Western PA Landscapers Networking Thread

For Sale Chevy truck parts
Old 04-23-2010, 10:37 PM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 93Chevy View Post
Cool man. I'd kill to have a truck like that, that bed is immaculate.

Is the underbody box from Highway Equipment, or is it another brand? It matches the bed really well.
There is no brand name on the box but right before I bought the truck the guy replaced the door on the box...I only knew that because he didn't line up edges of the door with the edges of the box haha. Couldn't just drill the new holes but oh well it does match up pretty good.