Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 02-05-2003, 10:43 PM
LawnSite Member

Squash all scrubs like a grape!

Does anybody know how I can turn in a scrub to the city/state/county?
I believe this low baller does not have the requirements for the job. Thanks for any help.
Kevin
Old 02-05-2003, 11:42 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

If you feel that they are applying pesticides or other items and they are not certified turn them in...but if you just think that someone is poor for the job, just out shine them with your services, qualifications, and quality.

Another way is to just market your services as qualified, knowledgable, and certified compared to the other LCO's in the area.
Old 02-06-2003, 02:28 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Do you have to have a license in the town they are mowing in? If yes call the people you got your license from. If they don't need one to work there there is nothing you can do from the town side of things.

State requirements? Some states don't require anything for the first year of business, so it's hard to get them out that way.

Fed, if you can find out with some reliability that they are not paying taxes on their mowing income. Call 1-800-829-1040 and ask for the fraud hotline number. In many cases the IRS will pay you a % of money collected as a result of your tip, but don't count on it unless the guy is pulling in some serious cash.
Old 02-06-2003, 07:02 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Location: is the luck of the irish that I wish you the top of the day. As morning is only so long. From a lost irishman in Joplin, Missouri
I understand how you feel. But everyone you turn in there is a dozen more out there.It is something you have to come to terms with. otherwise it will eat you alive. Also be leary of who you do turn in. If they are that bad they proably have no morals and there alot of thieves in the low end of the business. I have known guys who went away for a day and a scab stole all there stuff. plus if there are that bad they will create there own downfall
Old 02-06-2003, 07:07 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

I think the problem lies with customers. We need a big report on CNN or 60 minutes on wanabe landscapers cheating there way to a buck. Once the buzz gets around, customers will look for more qualifications.
Old 02-06-2003, 07:20 PM
LawnSite Member

Thanks for the input. I too believe that potential clients should be educated on how to hire a good contractor. What I find so surprising is that these clients are educated and are not dumb. You think that they would know how to interview contractors and not just look at the lowest bid. I also believe that if I find out that I was underbid for a 25k job and the guy doesn't even have his contractors license, that I will squash him like a grape. Thanks again.
Kevin