Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 02-05-2003, 03:27 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

I try to return them that day, or first thing the next morning. If they are that impatient, which some people are, I wouldn't be able to service them that quickly anyways. Some people think you are an "on-call" service so to speak. Not me, were usually booked pretty solid and to kiss the butt of someone that can't wait a day for (most likely) some piddly job, has no business interest to me.
Old 02-05-2003, 03:37 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

It's standard practice for me to return all phone calls the same day I recieve them. If it's longer than that, they have probably already made contact with someone else. Often the first to make contact will land the job, provided they can sell there service or product well. The potential customer may also feel as though you are not interested if you wait a couple of days to return their initial call.
Old 02-05-2003, 07:55 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

n/m
Old 02-05-2003, 07:56 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

We have made it a practice to answer the phone whenever possible during business hours. All call are returned promptly; within the hour or less. After hours calls are returned the first thing the following morning.

You'd be amazed at how many times I have been told "Are you the only Lawn and Landscape Company that answers the phone?" or "That was quick getting back to me."

...........First Impressions do count.........
Old 02-05-2003, 08:36 PM
LawnSite Platinum Member

I try to return all phone calls with in 24 hours. Even if I'm calling to turn the job down.

If you choked a Smurf, what color would it turn?

I'd give my right hand , if I could be ambidextrous!
Old 02-05-2003, 09:08 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Wow...some of you guys are nutty with your phones..... I return ALL calls at the end of the day, wife returns the "no more work calls within 24 hours." I dont own a cell phone, and cant even imagine taking calls during the day. I am not at my customers beckon call. I will return their calls when I get home from work.

If I didnt get a job because I wasnt the first to call back, I wouldnt want the job anyway. I dont work like that.
Old 02-05-2003, 10:41 PM
LawnSite Member

I will not give out my cell # to customers. But we do try to answer at the office, and I'm REALLY trying to encourage e-mail which I think is the ideal method of customer communications. I do stick to the 24 hour rule for return calls.
Old 02-06-2003, 09:18 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

I ONLY have a cell. I use that for every call I make plus, it has NO wires like those "phones"

I usually call them back by the end of the day or I turn off the equip and talk then. Prompt service= customers that appreciate me. I try to get back A.S.A.P. but, but, for those annoying customers that call me 5x a day I try to get back soon but, their usually the ones that get called last. I just don't like being pestered every 5 mins.
Old 02-06-2003, 10:18 AM

People are certainly taking advantage of e-mail these days. I never relied solely on the cell because it is usually impossible to have a good conversation - noise, interruptions, etc...as long as people are called back in a timely manner, they are usually satisfied. But having someone there during regular business hours to answer the phone is ideal.
Old 02-06-2003, 07:45 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Beauty of a very small territory is you can respond to a new job as soon as you finish the one your at.We try to answer all calls within 2 hours,if you get there straight away though you usually get the job.After 2 hours people have often phoned someone else.