Register free!

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Old 04-26-2010, 10:33 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

how do you like your mower so far man, we have the 326 with 60in and love them, very powerful(of course it is a diesel!) and stout. can be a little heavy though so for half acre lots it would not be a good choice.
Old 04-27-2010, 10:56 AM
LawnSite Member

I demo'd the ZD326 yesterday with the rear discharge deck, and I love all the extra features at no extra charge, such as the suspension seat with adjustable lumbar support (add'l cost on other brands), built in jack and free floating front wheels or change to fixed without getting off mower, hydraulic lift deck, quiet engine, and so on.

My concerns are that when testing it there were a few things off that dealer said were because assembler did not take the time to fix right such as rear drive tire being "out-of-round" causing it to bounce some. I don't want to get it home and have something go wrong due to assembler error, and have to deal with the time, energy and down time having to get it fixed. Kubota seems to have a Dealer issue, from past experience with tractors we have owned. Love the equipment, but something always seems to be off a bit when it comes to the follow through on the little things that can cause big problems. May be they hire cheap workers to keep costs down?

I am still seriously considering this mower especially at dealer finance rates of 0 down, 0% int for 48 months. They also have "bid assist" discounts for those of us doing contracts with NFP or Govt jobs. Scag and Exmark do as well, but they do not have dealer financing.

This would be my first deisel, but from what I hear they go and go and go.....

"Excellence in Everything"
Old 04-27-2010, 10:27 PM
LawnSite Member

Bought a zd221/54 today and love it. Rides a little rough on my yard, but my yard is real rough. I also suspect the tires have a little too much air in them. Super smooth engine, deck engagement, etc. etc.

My dealer told me they come completely assembled. If there was a tire out of round I suspect that to be the tire mfg's fault.........or something like that. Any other problems you saw or just the tire?

Waylan
Old 04-28-2010, 10:12 AM
LawnSite Member

I agree, very smooth engine and deck engagement, etc.. Steering was stiff and I was not sure if that was due to assembly error, being new, or just how the mower is made. Which deck did you buy? I like the rear discharge deck concept and think idea is great for all obvious reasons, but I was concerned about if or how that affected cut. Less lift? I used this mower to cut at the dealer but you can't really tell until you get it out in your own yards. Also, tried it on hill, and it did not hold a horizontal cut on the hill at one section and had to go back and do a vertical cut. I mow many hills.

Old 04-28-2010, 11:23 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

they can be tough on hills due to the weight, i know as i am a hill master with them. the steering does get smoother, but takes a couple hundred hours. they are ultra responsive being a transaxel not hydros.

i would not get a rear discharge unless doing gov work alot with the machine, they will not handle thick or even close to taller grass well at all, none do.

our dealer support is impecable here and one of the reasons why(of course we love the brand) we have kept with them. find a better dealer if you can, we drive an hour to ours vs one 20 min away for the support, always the support!
Old 04-29-2010, 11:07 PM
LawnSite Member

so you are saying they are good on hills? and you do not recommend the rear discharge? hmmm. I really like not having to worry about blowing into beds or hitting anyone or thing with discharge. I have an equal mix of residential, large parks, and lots of hills.

Old 04-29-2010, 11:22 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

they are ok on hills if you know what you are doing, not bad, but def not great. too high of a center of gravity, but i cut some scary hills with it so......

i have yet to see any rear discharge deck do anything buyt create hay out the back end so of course not
Old 04-30-2010, 08:34 AM
LawnSite Member

I am going to have them bring it out to the Park with the hills and tall grass, and see how it performs. That will tell all. Thanks

Old 04-30-2010, 01:36 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

beware the ultra stiff controls. it actually makes it difficult to operate for a while till they break in
Old 04-30-2010, 07:20 PM
LawnSite Member

What dealer are working with ? I purchased mine from Tyler Brothers in Maryville.
Stihl MS 290
Stihl HS 81 R