Register free!

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Old 04-30-2010, 04:53 PM
LawnSite Member

used hydro or new belt unit

What is your opinion I can get either a 3ish year old 48 hydro scag in what look like great condition still has all paint, it was a back up unit for 3500.00 or a new 48 belt unit for 3200.00 both have kawi 17( i think ). Going to be mowing my yard 1/2 acr and 2-3 more also for now .. What do you guys think used or new and I know pics would have been nice for the used one but it look darn near new . Thanks for the imput!
Old 04-30-2010, 10:22 PM
LawnSite Member

Your are going to get all kinds of opinions but mine is I would go hydro. Yes you can do 90% of everything with a belt, but I just like the way the hydros feel. I am also heavier and my hydro pulls my fat but up the hills better on a velky. The only thing that might change my mind is if you are getting ECS with the new belt. If those are the only yards you are cutting you shouldn't ever wear the machine out so go for the one that feels best to you.
Old 04-30-2010, 10:23 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Easy. Hydro.

Made the switch finally and haven't looked back since!

Quote:
Originally Posted by vgshopboss View Post
Definitely the best horse I have ever hitched my wagon to.
Old 04-30-2010, 10:29 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by arcticbouncer View Post
What is your opinion I can get either a 3ish year old 48 hydro scag in what look like great condition still has all paint, it was a back up unit for 3500.00 or a new 48 belt unit for 3200.00 both have kawi 17( i think ). Going to be mowing my yard 1/2 acr and 2-3 more also for now .. What do you guys think used or new and I know pics would have been nice for the used one but it look darn near new . Thanks for the imput!
If it is for personal use and one or two neighbors or even a couple more, save the money and buy the new one with the warranty. You will have no repair bills for at least two years.
Old 04-30-2010, 10:59 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Hydro, but I MIGHT keep looking, I don't know about the hydro you found, but I think one could probably be found cheaper, but I'm not sure about the market in you area.

I found mine 3-4 yrs old with around 100 hrs for $2,500, he was asking $2,800, but I was able to talk him down (which I would highly sugest trying)
If then God so clothe the grass, wich is today in the field, and tomorrow is cast into the oven; how much more [will he clothe] you, O ye of little faith? (Luke 12:28)

For if we live, we live to the Lord, and if we die, we die to the Lord. So then, whether we live or whether we die, we are the Lord's. (Romans 14:8)
Old 04-30-2010, 11:05 PM
LawnSite Gold Member

For your own personal yard get a belt. I really hate belts but they are so simple and easy to maintain. I 17 on a hydro 48 is kinda low to be honest. Not saying it won't work but if you put a sulky and mulch kit on it you will be under powered.
Old 05-01-2010, 10:01 AM
LawnSite Member

I'm in the same boat..Been looking for a used 48" Hydro here in NY , but may go with a belt because they are more availabe . I think I saw that scag your reffering to .
Old 05-01-2010, 03:38 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

I would go with the hydro, but I'd try to get down to something around $2800. Scag mowers are solid and last like a tank. I don't know what the mower market is in your area but there are alot of lowballing part timers out there now that may pay the $3500.