Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 05-01-2010, 06:15 AM
LawnSite Member

Any military landscapers out there?

I owned a full service landscaping company for about 3 years and sold it about two years ago and joined the US Marines. I was hoping to get out to Miramar CA and start another company out there but they shipped me to Japan instead. I was just wondering if anyone in the military owns a successful landscaping company and how he manages it with being in the military and dealing with deploying and working weekends? Any Avionics Marines out there?

LCpl Qua
Old 05-01-2010, 07:48 AM
LawnSite Member

That would be a tough one with your deployments,unless you had a wife or someone you could really trust to watch your business while your half way around the world.By the way my son is based in 29 palms and he is Japan right now as well
Old 05-01-2010, 08:30 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

I'm a retired Air Guard E-8 that worked C-130's. I mostly ran the inspection section, so my deployments weren't as regular as the flight line guys were. Even in my situation, I don't know how I would have run a lawn service business. I might could have picked up some extra bucks doing some lawns here and there, but I have no idea how I would have kept a schedule.

Not to sound too Sr. NCO on you, but you frankly have much greater responsibilities than running a business.

Good Luck,
Mike
Old 05-01-2010, 11:21 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

i did 6 years in the Army Guard. got out at E-5. my lil 18month deployment to Iraq messed up my business a lil bit

Landscape Contractors
Louisiana Licensed: Landscape/Horticulturist, Commercial Ground Applicator, Arborist, Irrigation Contractor, Utility Arborist

Onsite Sandbagging, Palletized Sandbags & Bulk Totes, Emergency Response, Erosion & StormWater Barriers
Old 05-01-2010, 07:56 PM
LawnSite Member

I am a fulltime MSgt in the Air National Guard. It can be difficult but not impossible. I usually know about my deployments several months in advance. Fortunately for me I have a friend that mows too and he takes care of my yards when I am gone, I just add him to my insurance. I try to schedule my trips during Dec, Jan, Feb, and early Mar. When I was active duty theres no way I could have done this. Good luck to you.