Register free!

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Old 05-02-2010, 11:23 AM
LawnSite Member

Location: Jackson, Ga (Butts County).......Yes, I am serious!!!!!!!
What would you do?

Ok.....here is the deal. I have a Husqvarna XP series ZTR w/ a 61" cut and 25 HP Kawasaki engine w/ about 1500 hours on it. It is in better than decent shape and runs good and cuts GREAT. The bad on it is that it rides like a horse drawn wagon w/ square wheels and no suspension. Also, it's a mid-mount, but the deck is a little more out front, so you get extremely dirty when cutting, especially when it's dry and dusty conditions.

Buddy of mine wants to give me a Grasshopper 225 w/ 52" cut and 25 HP Kohler Command engine in about the same condition. It does have about 1900 hours, but runs better than the Husky and cuts as well. I used it yesterday to test it and it seems to be good. No bumping from the spindles or anything like that. He will also throw in $700 in cold hard cash.

Now here is the delimma. The Husky is a little big for what I'm doing most (bank foreclosures that are typical "subdivision" yards.....In and out in 30 minutes tops) but is great on my yard (6 acres w/ about 5 trees to mow around) The Grasshopper rides MUCH smoother, cuts as well, and runs as well, if not better, but has more hours. It's smaller and lighter on my trailer, which equates to better gas mileage, and, whould couldn't use $700 in cash right now? The Husky isn't too big for what I do, but the smaller frame and cut of the Grasshopper would be a little easier to manuever in some of the places I cut........

What do y'all think?

BTW.....dealer is 7 miles away and sells/services Husky, Grasshopper, and Hustler, so that's no big deal
Old 05-02-2010, 12:36 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

I would lower the tire pressure a bit and get a suspension seat. Maybe fashion a small chute deflector on a hinge. But I like a challenge.
Old 05-02-2010, 12:47 PM
LawnSite Member

Did lower the tire pressure when I first got it. The seat would be a huge help. Dust and debris is coming from the front of the mower and blowing up on me......Not the discharge.
Old 05-02-2010, 12:48 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

I would think that it should be the other way around.
Old 05-02-2010, 01:34 PM
LawnSite Member

The grass is blowing out of the discharge very hard....It just stirs up dust and stuff that blows out from under the front of the deck as well.....I guess since the deck is a little further forward, it blows up on the rider moreso
Old 05-02-2010, 04:08 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

I turn down the rpm's when it's dry and dusty, that keeps a lot of it down, all mowers spew the stuff...
Old 05-02-2010, 08:07 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Some mowers don't have a ledge on the bottom to help with front blow out.
Old 05-02-2010, 08:23 PM
LawnSite Member

I assume that the deck is a Tunnel Ram correct?? Does it have the blow out baffles installed?? Blow out baffles are basically 2 strips of metal bolted on the bottom of the leading edge of the deck. Those were installed on the later versions of the deck to prevent blowout.

Tim