Register free!

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Old 05-10-2010, 07:47 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Crazy nice work, keep the pics coming!!!
Old 05-10-2010, 07:59 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DenbowLawn View Post
wow i love your work, and im hoping to get a dump trailer similar to your too. im working on getting more landscape work, right now im hit and miss with mowing customers. Any tips for getting the work?
Thank you! I think a dump trailer is a must if you mostly do landscape work. As I grow (hopefully)... I'd like to have dump trailers- maybe not AS big as mine currently- be THE go-to tool for my operation. They are just so versatile. Mine is 12,000#.... I'd like to stick with 10,000# from now on and maybe an F-450 next, so that I can keep future employees under CDL. I refuse to hand-unload anything at the end of the day. Part-timers like working with me because of the dump set-up (truck-trailer)...

As for straight landscape work, I guess my best advice would be pay close attention to DETAIL and work off REFERRALS! Take your one or two landscape jobs (a mulch job, trimming, a small install, whatever), do great work, and let word of mouth spread. I mow 3 yards- I love mowing, but it is not my main gig by far. I started out making landscape work my niche, not grass.

Make a brochure that lists additional services and mail it out to your mowing customers- let them know what you provide. You could stick it in an invoice envelope and DONE. I hand out very professional brochures instead of cards and people eat that up. And it does not mention mowing!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trevor8 View Post
how much is the echo bed redefiner
With tax, 675.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeRi24 View Post
looks real good! the grass in the 2nd pic, post number 8 looks like it would be a pain to mow!
Thanks! Yea, that turf gets the trimmer only. It's a third tier down in a very complex backyard. You could barely carry a push mower to it.
Old 05-10-2010, 08:09 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

A small renovation/install I did last year, spring clean-up and 14-14-14 today... The last pic is what the Echo Redefiner is capable of- these rings were totally collapsed, 3 times around with it and raked out, and it's ready for mulch. No edgings taken out.
Attached Images

Old 05-10-2010, 08:20 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Traded out a little work with a good buddy who helped me with my brochures over the winter. This is a church garden that I set up.... a little kill-off, strip, and till a week ago. Nice little volunteer project. Soil is GREAT too. Should be a nice garden.
Attached Images

Old 05-10-2010, 08:22 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

.... tilled multiple times and directions, DEEP.

AND the girlfriend who insisted on driving the Dingo. Good thing it was an open area....
Attached Images

Old 05-10-2010, 08:24 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

wow thats a hefty load! your work is amazing, good luck this season
Old 05-10-2010, 08:30 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by blakerugg View Post
wow thats a hefty load! your work is amazing, good luck this season
Thank you for the compliment!! Yea, that was two FULL loads of sod out of that garden, truck and trailer....and for some reason my trailer brakes were not working on the first load back to the shop/farm. It did just fine though and are now fine... I set that depth pretty deep for the sod in order to get as much Bermuda out of it as possible. Ended up being HEAVY. Funny how much waste (soil/sod) you end up creating out of an area you think is not too big. Always ends up massive.
Old 05-10-2010, 10:47 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Your work is phenominal how do you get the edges so nice with just a spade i have a hand edger also looks good but how do you get it that crisp.
Old 05-10-2010, 11:00 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jpeg lawn maintenance View Post
Your work is phenominal how do you get the edges so nice with just a spade i have a hand edger also looks good but how do you get it that crisp.
Thanks! here- I'll get nerdy on ya with my spade technique-

1. Steel Wolverine spades, razor sharp!
2. I cut the edge first, I DO NOT kick it into the bed (unless it's just a little soil)...I just leave it there.
3. Pull the spade out and immediately move to the left (or right) to continue but I really only use HALF the length of the spade on each cut. The spade barely lifts out of the ground. The key is to let the weight of the spade do the work and kick the spade quick and swift with your foot into the ground.
4. I keep going! ...and a guy follows with a spade and gets low and takes the edging out horizontally and angled slightly with the grade of the bed.
5. Wheelbarrows, dump trailer, ramps!

I've worked for the founder of Papa John's Pizza for the past 10 years (full-time grounds for 7 years and then my biz)...You would not believe the amount of spade edging on his estate property. This March, we did the whole thing- every bedline... miles probably. I would cut the edge and a crew would come behind me (sometimes 4-5 guys) just removing the edges. We re-formed tree rings, sometimes removing 2-3 ft. of soil and sod to even everything up. It was insanity. Can't really use anything mechanical either cause of all the irrigation....
Old 05-10-2010, 11:13 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by PerfectEarth View Post
Thanks! here- I'll get nerdy on ya with my spade technique-

1. Steel Wolverine spades, razor sharp!
2. I cut the edge first, I DO NOT kick it into the bed (unless it's just a little soil)...I just leave it there.
3. Pull the spade out and immediately move to the left (or right) to continue but I really only use HALF the length of the spade on each cut. The spade barely lifts out of the ground. The key is to let the weight of the spade do the work and kick the spade quick and swift with your foot into the ground.
4. I keep going! ...and a guy follows with a spade and gets low and takes the edging out horizontally and angled slightly with the grade of the bed.
5. Wheelbarrows, dump trailer, ramps!

I've worked for the founder of Papa John's Pizza for the past 10 years (full-time grounds for 7 years and then my biz)...You would not believe the amount of spade edging on his estate property. This March, we did the whole thing- every bedline... miles probably. I would cut the edge and a crew would come behind me (sometimes 4-5 guys) just removing the edges. We re-formed tree rings, sometimes removing 2-3 ft. of soil and sod to even everything up. It was insanity. Can't really use anything mechanical either cause of all the irrigation....
damn! your body mustve felt good when that was over!