Register free!

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Old 05-10-2010, 09:03 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

No, I wont pay for you to spray the clover, but I want you to mow lower to get rid if the flowers. I dropped him.
Old 05-10-2010, 09:40 PM
LawnSite Member

hahaha oh man that's bad, I've found dogs to be a very sensitive subject to most of my customers. I had a lady fire me because I left a note on her door asking her to call me when she had a chance to pick up the dog poo in the back yard. The yard was absolutely disgusting, she called me about 2 hrs later and reamed me and told me not to come back...I guess I was supposed to be upset...
5x10 Open Landscape Trailer
07 Scag Wildcat 61"
14 Scag Tiger Cat 52"
14 Scag Vride 36"
07 Scag Z-Cat 36"
03 Scag SWZ 48"
00 Scag SW 32"
Redmax and Echo Trimmers and Blowers
Old 05-10-2010, 10:05 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by carguyrob View Post
hahaha oh man that's bad, I've found dogs to be a very sensitive subject to most of my customers. I had a lady fire me because I left a note on her door asking her to call me when she had a chance to pick up the dog poo in the back yard. The yard was absolutely disgusting, she called me about 2 hrs later and reamed me and told me not to come back...I guess I was supposed to be upset...
Would have been fun to take the bagger off and make a pass near the front door.....
Old 05-10-2010, 10:15 PM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whitey4 View Post
Would have been fun to take the bagger off and make a pass near the front door.....
lmao thats great

1989 Ford F250 XLT Lariat 4x4 351ci
6x12 Single Axel Open Trailer
Cub Cadet G1548 48" Walk-behind
Bagging System
JRCO Dethatcher
JRCO Leaf Plow
Billy Goat TR800 Leaf Loader
Honda 21" Push Mower
2 Husqvarna 128LD String Trimmers
2 Husqvarna 150BT Backpack Blowers
Husqvarna Hedge Trimmer
Husqvarna 455 Rancher Chain Saw
Echo SRM-225 String Trimmer
Echo PE-225 Edger
Poulan Pro PP3516AVX Chainsaw
1969 Wheel Horse Raider 10
Old 05-14-2010, 08:35 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

I had the best one last week but not about my service. My 94 year old lady that loves to talk wanted me to go downstairs to check the knob that broke on her washer. When i went downstairs to look I heard a beeping noise every minute. The week before she had complained about a cricket in her basement keeping her up and that she had her nephew bomb the basement but its still alive cause she still hears it. She wanted me to clean up some items around her basement windows and AC to keep "crickets" from wanting to get in. So as I'm down in the basement I ask her if she has a smoke detector and she says no. It did it again and I turned around and sure enough hanging in the ceiling was a smoke detector with a dead battery. I told her she should stop hearing it now, but she still insisted she had a cricket. I finished mowing and then got a pair of pliers to help her start her load of laundry and she did say the noise had stopped, but then showed me plastic container that she had put a dead "cricket" in a few days prior that she was saving to show her nephew who bombed. In the plastic container, a shrivled up white flower from a weed in the yard that you would find most typically in clover. I just smiled and nodded and said, yep you got him.
Old 05-15-2010, 12:13 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

1) Pulled up to a customer's house, got out of the truck and heard what sounded like a tornado alarm or something just blaring, mind you I'm about 50' from the house. I knock, ring the doorbell, beat on the door, about to break in thinking she's dead (old lady) she swings the door open and starts yelling at me. she says "what's that noise?!!!! I don't know where it's coming from. etc. etc.. I start going around the house, upstairs, downstairs, it's echoing around sounds like it's coming from everywhere. Neighbors are coming over, she says she's going to call 911. I'm telling you this is the loudest noise you have heard. I go up to her husbands bedroom who just got put in a home and his damn alarm was going off, at 4:00 in the afternoon. She had JUST put him in a home and apparently he set his alarm. The volume was up all the way and it was some sort of high dollar Bose or something like that. I'm telling you with the front door open you could hear it a block down the street.

2.) Told a lady the other day she had to have the kids go inside when I was mowing for safety reasons. She said she liked to have them watch me work so they could see why they needed to work hard at school and have goals when they got older so they wouldn't have to do this type of stuff........Part of me couldn't believe she said it, and the other part of me couldn't wait to tell somebody about it.
Old 05-15-2010, 04:10 AM
LawnSite Member

Had a lady ask me to round up along her back fence then 2 weeks later wanted to know why i wasnt weedeating that area any more ........ cuz its dirt lady!! Same lady was upset my grass was sticking to the side of her house ........ it was cobwebs! lol Yes she was 88 years old !! gotta love that $40 check in the mailbox every Friday though .....Money Talks louder than she does lol
Old 05-15-2010, 10:31 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raymond S. View Post
1) Pulled up to a customer's house, got out of the truck and heard what sounded like a tornado alarm or something just blaring, mind you I'm about 50' from the house. I knock, ring the doorbell, beat on the door, about to break in thinking she's dead (old lady) she swings the door open and starts yelling at me. she says "what's that noise?!!!! I don't know where it's coming from. etc. etc.. I start going around the house, upstairs, downstairs, it's echoing around sounds like it's coming from everywhere. Neighbors are coming over, she says she's going to call 911. I'm telling you this is the loudest noise you have heard. I go up to her husbands bedroom who just got put in a home and his damn alarm was going off, at 4:00 in the afternoon. She had JUST put him in a home and apparently he set his alarm. The volume was up all the way and it was some sort of high dollar Bose or something like that. I'm telling you with the front door open you could hear it a block down the street.

2.) Told a lady the other day she had to have the kids go inside when I was mowing for safety reasons. She said she liked to have them watch me work so they could see why they needed to work hard at school and have goals when they got older so they wouldn't have to do this type of stuff........Part of me couldn't believe she said it, and the other part of me couldn't wait to tell somebody about it.
back a few years from age 5 to 9 i would watch the guys cut our lawn because i loved the stuff, they guy would even let me ride on the sulky with him. i loved it. he even let me do it once by myself and i was like OH YA. but now i do it so i get to live the life every year.
Old 05-25-2010, 11:41 PM
LawnSite Member

These are great I only had one. This guy calls me up prolly 2 or 3 weeks ago to do the grass. First time it was cut all year, needless to say grass was over 3 ft in back and about foot in front. Mowed and bagged front went around back not knowing thats how high it was first reaction was holy sh*t! I can't get mower back there so fire up weed wacker n trim it all. He calls me later saying I never cut it. So I went back over to explain that I can't get my mower back here to cut it. Ended up having the grass clippings all over his back yard.
Old 05-31-2010, 02:09 AM
LawnSite Member

i just started this business 9 months ago and my advice is to advertise in your local papers place flyers in grocery stores hair salons quickie marts pizza joints laundrymats ect. i have around 60 accounts i keep the good ones and lose the bad ones i work 15 hours a day and i kick butt by keeping up with maintenance being prepared and using my time and money wisely always improve yourself your equipment your time your handling of the lawns and customers and you will succeed # 1 advertise constantly to so you will be able to only have good customers and easy lawns and let the bad customers be someone else's problem.