Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 05-13-2010, 05:03 PM
LawnSite Member

I have a br-400 and a br-600, and love them both, and i would not own a blower with hip control's.
Old 05-14-2010, 02:18 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

I get hand cramps on my tube control unit
10Ft Dump Trailer
12Ft Leaf Box Billy Goat
60" Exmark Lazer Z
52" Hustler Mini Z
44" Toro Z Master
36" Bunton WB
21" Honda WB
Redmax & Stihl Handhelds
Bunch of other crap!!
Old 05-14-2010, 04:09 AM
LawnSite Member

I had an Echo with the hip throttle and liked it, It seemed very strong and natural to place my left hand on the throttle. When I upgraded my blower I wanted to try a tube throttle but no shop I called seem to stock them in the New York Metro area. The shops that would order one wanted extra money over the hip throttle; so i bought my blower out of state. I am very happy with the tube throttle as it leaves my other hand free and is a bit more maneuverable in tight areas. There seems to be a consensus in the northeast that the hip throttle is more durable and that the throttle cable is less likely to snag causing failure. the EB802 tube throttle cable is well placed and unlikely to snag, however the Echo hip throttle bar (though well made) has snagged on occasion. I am not sure if landscape crews are any different in other parts of the country but here I see them being unnecessarily hard on equipment. Throwing them into trucks, swinging blowers on by one strap, pulling the starter cord as fast and hard as possible and fanning the throttle from full to idle over and over again. I guess this is good for the shops but it doesn't help the owners of the business any and does not decrease the time spent on a property, if anything it creates down time...

I own four pieces of Stihl equipment now and like them all. The half moon caps are on 3 of them and I have never had any issue with them. They close in a very positive way and have not leaked. I think haste may have some people closing the caps improperly so they in turn leak.
Stihl HS 45 (Hedge Trimmer)
Stihl MS-360 25" (Chainsaw)
Poulan 3700 20" (Chainsaw)
Echo CS-3000 14" (Chainsaw)
Scotts Classic (Reel Mower) Yep!
Shindaiwa EB802RT (Blower)
Old 06-22-2010, 10:39 PM
LawnSite Member

Stihl Gas cap what a problem to have

I have the BR600 is great blower when it works. The gas cap may be a cheap item, but the blower is useless without it. It let me down big when I was in a rush. 25 minutes to cut a lawn, and 2 hours trying to get a gas cap on the blower...yes 2 hours...I gave up.. Stihl needs to address this problem, I'm reading all over the web about people with Stihl products and the cap leaking. Unbelievable something so simple was made so complicated.
Old 06-22-2010, 11:04 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

i had that issue before i had my echo and my redmax...with the gas cap and all. it was getting dark so i took duck tape and duck taped the opening....then once i needed to refill i took this giant cap from this glass bottle and pounded it on....worked like a charm...oh then no joke my tube throttle control wire broke one an outdoor shower hook.....then that piece was given to my partner for 5 bucks and a gift card to walmart...
Old 06-22-2010, 11:05 PM
LawnSite Member

Local dealer denies there is a gas cap issue or an available replacement. I just bought new caps anyway. $6 cap, even if it only lasts a season, is about the price of a gallon of 2 cycle fuel mix. And its easy to change them!
Honda HRX217K2HXA
Toro Recycler
Stihl BR600
Stihl KM90 + FCS-KM + FS-KM + HL-KM 135
Stihl MS180

That progressives and other collectivists can maintain with a straight face that “we are the government” while simultaneously maintaining that “a corporation is separate and apart from its owners” stands of one of the most glaring inconsistencies in their ideologies. -Robert Higgs
Old 06-22-2010, 11:20 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

either way i like my redmax better!
Old 06-22-2010, 11:32 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Coming from someone who has hip controls on my Echo, I would rather have tube controls. After using the hip controls my next blower will be tube control. Sometimes the hip control accidentally bumps my arm when i'm putting the blower on my back and turns the unit off. Annoying because I have to take it off and crank it back up. It also sometimes gets bumped off when i'm closing gates, I will accidentally bump into the fence. Sometimes I can catch is before it shuts off and blip the throttle back up. Plus sometimes I would like to have a free hand.
Old 06-23-2010, 06:28 PM
LawnSite Gold Member

I like tube throttles.
Wright 36" RH 07"
Redmax trimmer
Echo srm 225
Stihl fs90
Redmax hb28
Redmax eb7500 backpack blower
Rubbermaid cans 32gal
Solo backpack sprayer
A few more things..
Old 06-26-2010, 05:07 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grass Shark View Post
I get hand cramps on my tube control unit
Same here. I have only used tube throttle but the next machine I purchase will have hip control. I have no clue in the end which I will prefer but i will eventually have one of each. In a roundabout way, what I'm tryin to get across is that I don't hate tube throttle, but out of curiosity, I am buying hip next. Crews around here run tube and hip throttle, but I think we run way more hip throttle than tube. I'm going to guess and say that the Redmax 7100 series blowers occupy 60% of the industry here. The others are a mix of Husqvarna, Shindaiwa, Echo, and Stihl with Husqvarna being the least popular.

Shindaiwa T242X
Echo SRM225
Redmax EBZ8001
Snapper Commercial 21
Homemade landscape box
Plenty of soon to comes

Tags
blower , controls , landscape , throttle