Register free!

Old 03-29-2010, 04:30 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Thought I'd seen everything - Fish Rescue

We recently rebuilt a constructed wetlands filter using bioblocks for a very valuable customer. After finishing the job, I was adjusting the flow rate when one of my helpers hollered at me:"Where did this fish come from?" He was looking down the Aquascape snorkel (wetlands originally constructed using 'Snorkel' and 'Centipede' modules). I walked over and , sure 'nuf there was a 7 to 8 inch Koi swimming in the Snorkel. It had evidently been pumped into the wetlands months ago as a fertilized egg or as a Fry.

This customer's animals are her children, so immediately she gets frantic about removing the fish. Leaving the fish in the wetlands filter IS NOT AN OPTION in this customer's mind.

Short of completely dismantling the wetlands, I can think of no easy way to capture this fish. I have purchased a 12" diameter cylindrical bait trap net that might work after I make some modifications to it, but this would still involve someone sitting for an indefinite period waiting for the fish to swim out of the Centipede into the Snorkel before attempting to trap it.

Suggestions? Anyone? Please!!!
Old 03-29-2010, 07:02 PM
LawnSite Gold Member

Bread on a hook! (take the barb off!

Youtube Channel... http://tinyurl.com/l9a3843
Old 03-29-2010, 08:30 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Thanks Mick. Tend to forget that they are fish just like any other fish. And a Carp, no less.
Old 03-29-2010, 10:06 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

We cleaned out a pond last spring than a short time later I get a call that there were a bunch of baby koi in the biofalls some 75 feet away. That was a first for me lol!

Tadpole is the snorkel sloped for cleanout? Can you drain the system so the Koi is trapped in the low water of the snorkel?
Old 03-29-2010, 10:47 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

We have drained it twice in 6 months. After the first time, it was decided to rebuild it. The second time we drained it using a 3900 gph solids handling pump. This size pump creates quite a suction, but evidently this little rascal was too smart; and tough; cause he survived while we were rebuilding in practically no water. He appears healthy and well fed. (Can you imagine the size of the invertebrate population in the bottom of a constructed wetlands?)

Unless I hear of a better suggestion, I think I am going to use the baited hook that Mick suggested along with the net. When he comes to take the bait on the hook, which should attract him, I will pull up the trap net and capture him. At least it sounds good on paper!!
Old 03-29-2010, 11:19 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

LOL! Goodluck and keep us posted.
Old 03-30-2010, 03:58 AM
LawnSite Gold Member

Just be sure to have a few beers while doing it! lol Take a few photos if you can. I'd like to see what your talking about with Snorkel/centipede etc.

Youtube Channel... http://tinyurl.com/l9a3843
Old 03-30-2010, 06:19 PM
LawnSite Member

Unfortunately it might need to go the way of the rest of the world's fish.
Old 05-14-2010, 12:26 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

CASE CLOSED!! (I think).

After two months, the case has a sad/happy ending.

I placed the collapsible bait net in the 'Snorkel' along with a piece of Orange tied to a string suspended as an attractant. The little beggar would not take the bait, so just left the net in place on the chance of catching him at some future time. The owner even dropped Koi food down the 'Snorkel' to tempt him. No Luck.

Yesterday, I was at the customers residence for a different Pond matter. I decided to take a Look-See in the 'Snorkel' The Koi that we had seen was dead, floating on the top of the water. Right after I saw him, I detected some movement beneath his floating body and immediately yanked up the net. Not only did I have the dead Koi (about 8 inches long), but another Koi (about 7 inches long) alive and kicking. Placed him/her immediately in the Pond.
The little fella was in a complete state of shock due to the complete change of physical surroundings, but, given time, he will adjust.
I have no idea if there are any more Koi in the wetlands filter. I guess time will tell.

The End?