Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 05-13-2010, 09:31 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

Mulch Blower

Maybe the wrong forum, but it seems most Tandem and larger truck threads end up here. Anyway, we're a pretty good sized landscape contractor in Northern NJ, we sub out the installation of 3-4000 yards of mulch right now. I'm looking at the numbers and scratching my head wondering why we aren't doing it in house.........to those who offer this service(and self perform) for your own clients, how has it been working for you? Is my volume enough to justify it without even selling the service to other contractors? Our design/build department does at least another 1000 yards, but mostly hand installed right now, I look at this and run numbers, seems to make sense, really good sense dollars wise at least. Challenges you've faced? Reccomendations on chassis/unit? We're looking used, several available for around 100-125K, which if my numbers are correct will be easily recovered in the first season, 90% of our work is within 15 miles of the shop, so I'm not scared buying a used chassis, however I know exactly 0 about blower units. Many I've seen online mention a dye injector, how does this work compared to buying already dyed material? Thinking 25 yard capacity min, need 300 ft of hose to be sure to access back yards/courtyards etc. I knoe some units can blow dry soil, anyone do this? Results, challenges? We have some design/build jobs where access is a big issue for us and this could really work out well. And lastly, we do not have the space or the grinder to make our own mulch, we would have to bring it in, which is OK, as we'd have the room to stockpile a few hundred yards during the busy months, anyone buying this volume of mulch in the northeast, if you are where are you getting it and what kind of price do you get on that kind of volume? 85% Reg double ground brown, the rest is split between the McDonalds red or black dyed, and a very little bit of cedar and hemlock.
Old 05-13-2010, 09:49 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

we had one at TG It saw a lot of time int he shop. It one of the pieces that when it works It sees a lot of hours in a condensed period of time. and from talking to folks who blow mulch for us on campus, maintenance and upkeep is a fair amount of work as well. which would keep me from the used side of things...
Old 05-13-2010, 03:57 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Call Wolbert and Masters they can give you alot of info on the Finn.
Old 05-13-2010, 09:22 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

i think there would be more of a market now then ever, if you can install the mulch for less than the contractors currently doing it themselves i think itd be a good selling point... ive also heard the maintenance on them is a nightmere as well with the airlocks and stuff...
Old 05-14-2010, 08:27 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

Ain'tno fun,

Airlocks?? Does that mean material getting bound up? Or something else?

Again, I know almost nothing about these units, just that they blow alot more faster than we could do be hand, and that through "fluffing" the material and the air that carries it you save big on material like 25-30%. Or so I've heard.
Old 05-14-2010, 11:56 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

mine is on its third season, never had a problem with the air lock.....like I told you, the big machines are a different animal, they can handle A LOT more than the little ones can. Mine is a little one too by the way.