Register free!

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Old 05-14-2010, 08:17 PM
LawnSite Member

Working on a easy money maker

Got a call today from a guy I know who asked me if I wanted to haul 36 loads of gravel said yes not a problem.

A neighbourhood had a new water main installed each house needs a new service installed they are responsible to dig their own line. They need bedding sand some places need a yard some need 3 yards but most of them a yard.

There will be about 40 yards of sand or 4 tandem loads and 450 dollars worth of trucking if hauled in a tandem axle dump.

Problem 1 they don't have a place to dump 40 yards of material which is the biggest problem.

Second problem they would have to hire a backhoe to cart the material to each house they are not side by side it would be a 10 hour day with a backhoe looking at 900 dolllars. Can't use a skid steer too much traveling.

Third problem the squabling and fighting on how much material each homeowner is getting. The homeowner pays for the amount of material I deliver to them.

I told the person heading up this project 50 dollars a load for me to deliver it and I only haul it at that price when I'am going to work. It is on my way to my regular job so is the gravel pit I haul from. Go into the pit get a yard dumped on the truck leave and head to work. Stop by the neighbourhood dump off the load collect my 50 dollars.

If this deal goes through I should make easy 1800 dollars subtract 300 in fuel it will leave me with 1500 dollars
Old 05-14-2010, 08:41 PM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gravel Rat View Post
Got a call today from a guy I know who asked me if I wanted to haul 36 loads of gravel said yes not a problem.

A neighbourhood had a new water main installed each house needs a new service installed they are responsible to dig their own line. They need bedding sand some places need a yard some need 3 yards but most of them a yard.

There will be about 40 yards of sand or 4 tandem loads and 450 dollars worth of trucking if hauled in a tandem axle dump.

Problem 1 they don't have a place to dump 40 yards of material which is the biggest problem.

Second problem they would have to hire a backhoe to cart the material to each house they are not side by side it would be a 10 hour day with a backhoe looking at 900 dolllars. Can't use a skid steer too much traveling.

Third problem the squabling and fighting on how much material each homeowner is getting. The homeowner pays for the amount of material I deliver to them.

I told the person heading up this project 50 dollars a load for me to deliver it and I only haul it at that price when I'am going to work. It is on my way to my regular job so is the gravel pit I haul from. Go into the pit get a yard dumped on the truck leave and head to work. Stop by the neighbourhood dump off the load collect my 50 dollars.

If this deal goes through I should make easy 1800 dollars subtract 300 in fuel it will leave me with 1500 dollars
Sounds like a good deal for everyone.
Old 05-14-2010, 09:23 PM
LawnSite Member

All the homeowner is paying is my trucking the material is being paid through the neighbourhood water board who is maintains the water system.

The material costs will be eventually paid by the homeowners through the water board the fees they pay.
Old 05-16-2010, 06:39 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

hay GR I'm glad you are getting some work .
This mite be 2 positive posts in a row things must be looking up .
John
Old 05-16-2010, 06:42 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

i was going to say, ive noticed that GR has been in a much better mood lately! must be liking his new truck, or he got a girlfriend...but im leaning towards it being the truck lol!

anyways, its good to hear your getting more work. cheers!