Register free!

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Old 02-10-2003, 03:38 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

Do some of you do this?

One question, I'm in the process of typing up a Grounds maintenance agreement. For one, not sure if I should call it a "contract", I think most people would not like that much. What do you think I should title it?
Secondly, I was wondering if any of you billed for the whole year? Around here its about an 8 month season ,give or take. Say the weekly bill is $40 x 30 cuts = $1200 for the season ( 8 months). Rather than just bill $160 for the 8 months, Do any of you spread it out for a full 12 months, dropping the monthly bill to $100/month? I think it would help keep customers over the off season. What are your thoughts?
Old 02-10-2003, 09:18 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

It's an "agreement" not a contract. Just like it is weed "control" not weed killer.

Do not spread payment to 12 months! If it is an 8 month work cycle go no more than 9 months with the 9th month being 1 month ahead of any work at the begining of the season or as a "initial payment"
Old 02-10-2003, 11:56 AM
LawnSite Silver Member

Yes it is called a maintenance agreement. People get scared by the name contract. I bill on a monthly basis. As far as the 12 month thing, friends in the business yell at me for it but I do offer a "12 month payment plan" for senior citizens. Where they get an extra 3-4 months to pay their bills. The reason I do offer this is because I know seniors usually get 1 check a month. Yes I wait longer for my money, but it's not like it is killing me. i have enough customers paying monthly. Also I find it good because my seniors are guaranteed checks over the winter months, where normally I would have none. I have picked up a handfull of customers offering that plan.

<=====<<<< Success is getting what you want and happiness is wanting what you get.>>>>=====>
Old 02-10-2003, 01:02 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

I offer a 12 month payment plan to my larger accounts. It's nice to see checks in the mailbox in Feb when there's 10 inches of snow on the ground!!!
Old 02-11-2003, 04:11 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally posted by HBFOXJr
It's an "agreement" not a contract. Just like it is weed "control" not weed killer.

Do not spread payment to 12 months! If it is an 8 month work cycle go no more than 9 months with the 9th month being 1 month ahead of any work at the begining of the season or as a "initial payment"
Why not!? This way you will be getting checks throughout the"off" season! Makes sense to me, and I think alot of customers would jump for that because it makes there monthly bill drop.