Register free!

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Old 02-09-2003, 11:30 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

Flatbed w/ gate

Haven't seen this so I will ask. I was wondering that with a 12' flatbed on f-350, would it be a good idea or not to add a gate on the side by the headache rack. Reason would obviously be to unload stuff from uptop that would be too hard or time comsuming to do otherwise, maybe pavers or other heavy hardscape items or small quanities of mulch that would be less of a mess, or load to the top wheelbarrow full of debris, I've seen to many others hand load and that is a complete waste of time. This would allow dump portion to remain the same compared to mounting on back where it would be in the way. If this is a dumb idea, tell me another way that would allow me to utilize this idea or similar. Thanks
Old 02-10-2003, 12:27 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

I used to work for a company. We had a f350 w/about 10' flat bed. The right side was hinged at the bottom so it could be folded down in two pieces. (the front half and the back half). The rear gate was also hinged and the left side could be lifted completely off. the hinged side did make unloading easier at times.
Old 02-10-2003, 01:06 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

I saw a guy with sides that swing open;has a post in the middle of the bed that both sides lock into.big box but PaulJ I think the way you described is better.
Old 02-10-2003, 01:13 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

I actually wasn't sure I described it very well. On the box we used the sides were made out of 1x4 wood, the side that was hinged and swung down had a solid post in the middle of the side to hook to keeping it from bowing out when loaded. The tailgate was steal mesh one piece and only about 12' high. I swung down also. (the sides were about 2-3' high). When we open all three sides up dumping grass went real quick.
Old 02-10-2003, 07:57 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

Brent, I have a neighbor down the road that I think has something very simular to what you describing. Its on a PSD extra cab dually, Ill take a look at it today(its raining and I have nothing else to do) and see if its what your describing!
Old 02-11-2003, 05:38 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Any pics, I'm having a hard time figuring out what is being said.