Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 05-23-2010, 04:56 PM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by underPSI View Post
Why would this part be needed if you are adding an oil cooler?
It looks like it is merely an extension to let you drain your oil during an oil change. The oil cooler is just a little block with heat sinks on it, but it sticks out farther than the other drain assy probably, at least from what I can see.
Old 05-23-2010, 04:58 PM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
Why would this part be needed if you are adding an oil cooler?
Also, this part isn't included on the lesser horsepower FH models without the oil cooler.
Old 05-23-2010, 05:18 PM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by clif View Post
It looks like it is merely an extension to let you drain your oil during an oil change. The oil cooler is just a little block with heat sinks on it, but it sticks out farther than the other drain assy probably, at least from what I can see.

Well, I was just curious because on my FH641V (21hp) I have an oil drain tube so I can't see why this part would be necessary. I am also ordering the same parts for a friend who has the FH601V (19hp). Does the 19hp not have an oil drain tube making this part necessary for the conversion?
Old 05-23-2010, 05:31 PM
LawnSite Member

Further investigating makes me think it's engine model specific based on the sub-model number (In your case -DS22 or FH601V-DS22). The two engines I'm ordering parts for are the -DS25 and -CS21 so I assume I don't need them since they are not listed.
*Note to others* When looking to see if your engine requires this additional part you need to check under the model number FH721V-####
Old 05-23-2010, 05:43 PM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
Further investigating makes me think it's engine model specific based on the sub-model number (In your case -DS22 or FH601V-DS22). The two engines I'm ordering parts for are the -DS25 and -CS21 so I assume I don't need them since they are not listed.
*Note to others* When looking to see if your engine requires this additional part you need to check under the model number FH721V-####
My FH601V-DS22 does have an oil drain tube, but this extra long tube would likely be needed if adding the oil cooler, if you view the illustrated parts breakdown diagram, the oil cooler mounts right where the drain tube and oil filter are located. You probably don't have to order it, but it must be easier to do oil changes or else it wouldn't be there. It would seem like it wouldn't be there if it was not needed, if you're (kawasaki) making engines all the identical except one or two parts to save money, any part not needed would be eliminated it seems. But as you said, check your specific sub-model number, some may vary.
Old 05-23-2010, 06:03 PM
LawnSite Member

I did view the diagram when I was looking at your specific model engine but on mine the diagram doesn't show up. I did a visual on my actual engine and I can't see why I'd need the part since the drain nut is actually located at the end of the drain tube. It would make sense to need that part if the flow control was located on the block. Maybe I'm missing something here, I don't know. And yes, I plan on adding the oil cooler.
Try comparing the two models and see if you can get the valve assem. to show. Compare the FH721V-DS22 and FH721V-DS25.

Kawasaki Parts

Last edited by underPSI; 05-23-2010 at 06:08 PM.
Old 05-23-2010, 06:21 PM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
I did view the diagram when I was looking at your specific model engine but on mine the diagram doesn't show up. I did a visual on my actual engine and I can't see why I'd need the part since the drain nut is actually located at the end of the drain tube. It would make sense to need that part if the flow control was located on the block. Maybe I'm missing something here, I don't know. And yes, I plan on adding the oil cooler.
Try comparing the two models and see if you can get the valve assem. to show. Compare the FH721V-DS22 and FH721V-DS25.

Kawasaki Parts
The FH721V-DS23 and DS25 don't list the valve assembly. Either they realized it was not necessary at some point, or maybe this is not an extension at all, but maybe just the plain old drain plug we already have. Good observation either way. I will compare it to the drain that's on mine when the parts arrive, if it's the same I will return it. You may have saved me a little moolah$$, thanks!
I looked at every diagram for the DS25 and none shows any part like that anywhere. Strange thing is, though, if you have that part on your engine, why isn't it listed anywhere on their diagram? May have been left out I suppose by mistake.
Old 05-23-2010, 07:33 PM
LawnSite Member

my 19 has the extension
Old 05-23-2010, 08:09 PM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by icobob View Post
my 19 has the extension

Why? What's the purpose of it? Does the engine not have a flexible tube about a foot long to drain the oil?
Old 05-24-2010, 07:29 PM
LawnSite Member

No hose. I drain from the metal tube.