Yes 20 32.26%
No 21 33.87%
Maybe 8 12.90%
Or tuff it out? 13 20.97%
Voters: 62. You may not vote on this poll

Old 05-24-2010, 02:17 PM
LawnSite Member

Job or business?

Okay poeple been in lawn business now for two years, this year things have really gone upward for me alot more new customers. And i have a full time job working 10hr. shifts. I am wanting to quit the full time or atleast go part-time and focus more on the business, want to see the idea you guys have.
Old 05-25-2010, 12:24 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Im in the same boat!
Stay focused and leave distractions for those who will fail in their ventures
Old 05-25-2010, 12:58 PM
LawnSite Member

Kind of a tough decesion to make huh!
Old 05-25-2010, 01:54 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Me too but my job doesn't give me as good as hours as yours. I'm a verizon sales rep at a mall so some nights I'm at work till 9:00 and work 5days a week. If you work 10hr days you work 4 days a week then right? I would get the 3 days off built up and then cut back to 3 10hr days.

I currently cut from sun up to sun down Monday and Wednesday. I have 25 decent accounts. When I get a few more things paid off financially so there is less monthly outgo I plan on cutting back to 3 days a week.
Old 05-25-2010, 05:17 PM
LawnSite Member

Ya i only work four days a week off friday, saturday, and sunday. I'd rather be mowing than doing this job. I'm a machinst, welder.
Old 05-25-2010, 08:23 PM
LawnSite Member

keep job or not

As bad as you may want to quit your job, the only thing I have to offer is that you need to keep in mind the pros and cons of not having your full time job.

1) Insurance if you have it at your current employer
2) Steady income during the winter months or slow times
3) Retirement or 401 k
4) Social Security (not that i believe we will even have it by then but who knows)

Ultimately, if you feel some of the things i listed is not an issue, then by all means move forward into the next chapter of your life by doing the new business
Old 09-09-2010, 05:32 PM
LawnSite Member

I would not quit your currrent job until you can at lease make as much money as you are currently paid, plus money for insurance and retirement. Depending on your age and family, insurance benefits can be 10,000 dollars are more per year that you are receiving from your current employeer. (assuming your emeployer pays the benefits and not you)
Old 10-08-2010, 10:37 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Job....

All i can say is 21 or so yrs ago i was in the aerospace industry making 80k a yr. great benis and retirement...i left that for this business and it was the best thing i ever did....today i would probably be unemployed. i saw at an early age how the big companies treated people back then....early retirement among others were shorting people out of their money and replacing the older work force with younger and less expensive workers.....today i have 3 crews of 3 and while i dont set the world on fire we are comfortable...time with my kids, wife didnt need to work the entire time they were young and let me say it shows....both my kids have been almost straight a students since the beginning....if you do it right it would be the best choice you will ever make...good luck...and keep those blades turning!!!
Old 10-08-2010, 10:42 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by RHill View Post
I would not quit your currrent job until you can at lease make as much money as you are currently paid, plus money for insurance and retirement. Depending on your age and family, insurance benefits can be 10,000 dollars are more per year that you are receiving from your current employeer. (assuming your emeployer pays the benefits and not you)
in some states they have state run health care for children...you still have to pay a little but the cost is extremely affordable...and here you can earn up to 85k and still qualify (family of 4)this does not however pertain to adults you would still need to buy for yourself and spouse.
Old 10-09-2010, 10:24 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

well since i last posted on this thread i quit my full time job working 40-80 hours a week, treated like garbage and hated going back day after day. i quit in july and went full/part time in my own business! hours cut in half and making a lot more an hour! if you think your business can support you, go for it! im glad i did!
Stay focused and leave distractions for those who will fail in their ventures