Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 05-17-2010, 11:08 AM
LawnSite Member

Do you have your customers sign anything??

Hi! Just wondering if any of you have your customers sign something before you do the job? Also, if someone doesn't pay, do you charge any sort of late fee? Thanks in advance!
Old 05-17-2010, 09:33 PM
LawnSite Member

yes a contract....

if you are fully liscenced you can charge a late fee
Old 05-19-2010, 01:02 PM
LawnSite Member

What you have to consider is you will often run into so called "customers" who are nothing more than con artists. They have been conning people for so long they have it down to a flawlessly executed art form. They are good at what they do because most likely they learned it from their parents and are also self educated in other aspects of the art.

Under the guise of simply being curious and wanting the best for their money they will ask you tons of general questions about anything and everything related to asphalt and asphalt sealing. You will be thinking something along the lines of "Wow lots of good questions i can answer for them therefore i can educate them which is something my competitors probably havent done and i can secure this job" and you will really pursue a securing of the sale.

Then after you complete the sealing job they will come off with something such as "Oh but we discussed doing this and that and the other and you didnt do all that and i just naturally thought you were going to do that because after all we did talk about that". And thats is where your trouble will start and they will use that scheme to nickle and dime you to death. And before you know it they will talk you down a couple hundred dollars on your price and you will seriously consider giving that discount just to shut them up.
And that is what they are wanting all along.

That is why you want to provide them with a detailed written contract containing specifics. Then if someone attempts to give you static you dont have to argue or debate or raise your voice. You can simply say "Please refer to our contract".

Last edited by BIGBOY2008; 05-19-2010 at 01:07 PM.
Old 05-20-2010, 07:48 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

I don't normally right a contract but like bigboy says, you can spot those "customers" that will ask you tons of questions, they are normally very picky customers, so you want to make sure you tell them EXACTLY what you will and not do. Bring them out on the driveway, point the stuff you will do. You have to be specific on every detail that you will do and you need to ask the homeowner if he understands what you will do.

Then you just need to make a good job, especially if the homeowner was already being picky.
Complete lawn care services
Old 05-20-2010, 01:38 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Mine do not sign anything, but are aware that payment is due at completion of the job, or leave a chq/Mo/cash or pay on line, if there not going to be home. I only bill commercial customers, that give me a purchase order.
Old 05-21-2010, 12:13 AM
LawnSite Member

Thanks for your replies! I've been pretty lucky so far (knock on wood) with all our customers paying, but we just did residential job where the homeowner went on vacation. I left him an invoice at the door and also sent one in the mail. It's been 2 weeks but still no check. I don't want to come across as pushy, but I think 2 weeks is a pretty decent amount of time.
Old 05-21-2010, 10:52 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

30 Days is the norm. Make sure you put on your invoice your terms, so there is no question.
Old 05-24-2010, 10:18 PM
LawnSite Member

Lawn care Invoice Service

First month FREE, introducing a new web portal at http://www.MyLawnConnect.com

MyLawnConnect is a professional billing service for lawn care professionals. Our system allows you to easily track your customers, services, and completed jobs in real-time. Have a phone? then you can mark jobs completed by sending a text message. Our system takes care of the rest by creating your invoices. We send them out for on your behalf either paper or email. All you have to do is sit back and receive the payments. You can even accept credit card payments.

NO contract, NO setup fees.

Please contact us with any questions at 314-630-6982.