Register free!

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Old 05-25-2010, 10:36 PM
LawnSite Platinum Member

Looking good! I'm glad you've found so much mowing work to do. I'd like to get into it some more but sure would like some commitments before buying 10K worth of mowers.

"Life is like running a motor grader. You have to look down the road and plan for whats ahead and not down at your feet!"

http://www.youtube.com/user/letsdig18

New facebook fan page
http://www.facebook.com/pages/Letsdi...3541611?v=wall

Old 05-25-2010, 11:02 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by wanabe View Post
Very nice job! I never would have thought in a million years that you would have got so much work from all the townships. I know mine(dubois) is about as broke as they can get, and would never have funding for this, all though they need your service bad.
I've probably got 4 more days in Washington Co. and 1 day in Clinton Co. and 3 days in Bond when it gets really dry and an unknown number in Washington Co. later this summer. That's the dilemma they are all facing, I'm just looking to get a day or two's worth of work from the townships. If I could get that every year it would be beneficial to all of us.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dirtman2007 View Post
Looking good! I'm glad you've found so much mowing work to do. I'd like to get into it some more but sure would like some commitments before buying 10K worth of mowers.
Thank you. I hope you're planing to put said mower on something other than the minis, since you don't have a cab on either. It can be done but I wouldn't recommend it. I'd be a liar if I didn't tell you that I really stumbled into this. All I can hope is that it lasts. Every time I'm on the road I get tons of stares. I just wonder how long it will take to see another mini with a mower in the area.
Never be afraid to try something new. Remember that a lone amateur built the Ark. A large group of professionals built the Titanic. -Unknown
Old 05-26-2010, 11:17 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

This morning I took a picture of the 550 before I left this morning. It had 30,000 miles and a couple of tenths. It's an '03 that we purchased as a cab & chassis in February of '08 with like 8900 miles. The bed came off of a previously owned truck.

Then it was back to mowing more ditches. I finished the ditch but neglected to take a pic. The farmers whose field I was on are nuts about walnut trees. So I had to leave some walnuts on the corner. They have hired me asap to clean out a drainage ditch on their property leaving only, you guessed it walnuts!

The drainage ditch
Never be afraid to try something new. Remember that a lone amateur built the Ark. A large group of professionals built the Titanic. -Unknown
Old 05-27-2010, 01:05 AM
LawnSite Member

You would see your dog run away for miles around your area

I don't think I could get used to living in a area with no mountains

My opinion on a tractor mounted brush cutter could do that job in the pictures but it would be real pain in the azz to cut around the trees and I can see why you want more reach.

It must be horrible mowing in a open ROPs machine you must be covered in fine dust and debris if the wind picks up. A full cab machine with lexan forestry windows along with A/C and satelite radio would be nice.
Old 05-27-2010, 02:10 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

My old international use to have a drop down disc/flail mower. The city came and ran a new ditch through our old farm and never mowed it, so one day I was told to go out an mow it. So I dropped the mower and ran along the whole ditch. Got a call from the city a few weeks later 7am asking who mowed the ditch. I just played dumb because I had just gotten out of bed and couldn't get my thoughts together. Turns out they were missed off because someone had mowed 128 trees they had planted along the ditch. They were small trees 2-3 feet tall and in the long grass never saw em. Luckily got away with it, back in the day.
Old 05-27-2010, 09:13 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

ARP! Here's some pics of my EX30. Post some if you can for comparison. I believe it's got approximately 100 hrs. Do you do anything to your blades as far as sharpening? Also is your 50D a standard or long stick?

Old 05-27-2010, 09:24 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

You could sharpen them on a water grinder, it works as a last resort, I did my flail knives old school style and I got at least another 2 days of work before I chucked them all for new knives.

http://www.youtube.com/user/69rd96
Old 05-27-2010, 09:34 PM
LawnSite Member

It is odd they use castle nuts and roll pins on the bolts.
Old 05-27-2010, 11:10 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

That looks just like a flail shredder knife. I remember everyone mowing corn stalks years ago with a mower that had knifes on it like that.
Old 05-28-2010, 12:10 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

Today was a shortened day so I took my brother along to get him some seat time. He's 17 and really doesn't have much experience, so today was a good chance to lay waste to some brush. We were working on clearing a waterway with the exception of a few good walnuts.

Me chasing down some branches in the water.

My Brother