Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 05-30-2010, 11:53 AM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Bad Bob View Post
Nationality has nothing to do with it. If they are from Mexico, Guatemala, Brazil, Canada, Germany, Italy, Australia, Somalia, CUBA or any where else and they are here ILLEGALLY, it is wrong and they should leave. And any company or individual or group of individuals that give them safe harbor, they or their representatives, should do prison time.
I am half native American, Cherokee, so don't give me that crap about my ancestors being immigrants. My European ancestors came to America in the 1880's, LEGALLY from Germany and Ireland and you can guess about my native American ancestors.
And you do know that most Mexicans consider the southwest USA to be theirs under USA occupation? My daughter is married to a man whom was born and raised in Mexico and came here LEGALLY and is now a naturalized citizen and he told me this is what he was taught in school.
I have lived in the Southwest all my life and have many hispanic friends..Ive NEVER heard that Mexicansconsider the southwest theirs..Thats hilarious..

As far as all this legal illegal nonsense,,,If I have the opportunity to hire a hardworking man thats gonna break his back to feed his struggling family Im not gonna flinch at the chance....As versus keeping the job in the "American realm" were my choices arwe fat lazy highschoolers that are only doing it to pay for a sack and a new playstation game....Commmme on man.

Were all PEOPLE here on this planet,,,who gives a sh it about some green piece of paper,,,,as if that makes any difference...
Old 05-30-2010, 12:01 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by fastpine View Post
Were all PEOPLE here on this planet,,,who gives a sh it about some green piece of paper,,,,as if that makes any difference...
but we do worry about a green peice of paper. generally has George Washington on one side.

Personally Id be more worried about hiring some american and paying him cash under the table..and not having WC when he gets hurt.
Old 05-30-2010, 12:06 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
I have lived in the Southwest all my life and have many hispanic friends..Ive NEVER heard that Mexicansconsider the southwest theirs..Thats hilarious..

As far as all this legal illegal nonsense,,,If I have the opportunity to hire a hardworking man thats gonna break his back to feed his struggling family Im not gonna flinch at the chance....As versus keeping the job in the "American realm" were my choices arwe fat lazy highschoolers that are only doing it to pay for a sack and a new playstation game....Commmme on man.

The quote above is a perfect example of what I stated in a earlier post which I restated below.

Americans have become too selfish and self centered over the last few decades. Today it's not about doing the right thing, but all about what benefits me and me only and who cares about what effects it has on other people, animals, the economy, whatever the case may be.

Dump toxic chemicals into a creek, ahh who cares if it kills the fish, I don't eat them anyway but I saved legal dump fees so that justifies it. Or in BP's case who cares about the safety of our workers, oil blowouts, the ocean environment, the livelihood of thousands of fisherman and the industries they support, BP saved millions for the shareholders. Except a blowout did happen and now it will cost them billions and all the damage they have done.

Some LCO's will hire an illegal in a heartbeat to save money over hiring a legal or god forbid an American. But these same LCO's will be the first to rail against unemployed Americans who start their own business using a pushmower out of the trunk of thier car or rickety trailer. Ohh those damn lowballers, they don't pay taxes, they don't have insurance, they don't have a business license, ect. Why your totally legit in your business except err ummm the help you hire, but we won't mention that will we? Maybe if you hired Americans they would not be your competition later, and they will spend the money here in this economy instead of it being sent back to Mexico.
Old 05-30-2010, 05:19 PM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by sdk1959 View Post
The quote above is a perfect example of what I stated in a earlier post which I restated below.

Americans have become too selfish and self centered over the last few decades. Today it's not about doing the right thing, but all about what benefits me and me only and who cares about what effects it has on other people, animals, the economy, whatever the case may be.

So I should hire some guy who works half as hard for twice as much just cause its "right",,or to avoid being "selfish"......

I guess I dont look at things like most. I see past the petty laws, border lines and BS,,and recognize that a hardworkin man deserves a chance because he is simply that,, a hard workin man just tryin to do the same thing we all are,,,Put a hot plate on the table ..
Old 05-30-2010, 05:24 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

I found the perfect solution and work by myself, been that way ever since I fired my last helper 5 years ago.

Quote:
So I should hire some guy who works half as hard for twice as much just cause its "right",,or to avoid being "selfish"......

I guess I dont look at things like most. I see past the petty laws, border lines and BS,,and recognize that a hardworkin man deserves a chance because he is simply that,, a hard workin man just tryin to do the same thing we all are,,,Put a hot plate on the table ..
No, but maybe you're expecting things to fall into place on their own and in some sort of impossibly short order,
hiring the right worker isn't something most companies can manage overnight.
On that note probably not even over a week or a month, and I'm not really sure but it probably takes most of them years.

It's like learning to ride a bicycle, in most cases you can't just hop on it and go,
in most cases it takes a considerable learning curve, and a LOT of practice.
The reason it's easy with the illegals is because they don't have a lot of choice, but right it isn't, I don't think.

Somewhere in all of that lies the right way of doing things, I think,
but taking a shortcut or the easy way out is not it, of that I'm pretty sure.

Sorry if I was hard, never did quite figure it all out my own self, so...

Last edited by topsites; 05-30-2010 at 05:32 PM.
Old 05-30-2010, 09:40 PM
LawnSite Gold Member

Just because they are hispanic doesnt mean they are a good worker or a hard worker. there are plenty of legal hard working people in this country that are here legally. try hiring one of them and not taking the easy way out. You may have to pay them a little more but its kind of like operating a business with insurance. If you want to be legal you have to pay a little more. Dont complain about lowballers if you are going to hire illegals or pay guys cash......because you are one.
Old 05-31-2010, 12:08 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:

Yes, you are selfish. Your only thinking OF YOUR bottom line- NOT helping a downtrodden man feed himself and his family. You could care less whether he was from America, Mexico, Iran or Mars as long he works hard on the cheap.

Do you know why Mexicans work so hard- but ONLY when they are visiting America? It has to do with exchange rates. One American dollar equals approximately 12.5 Mexican pesos. The average DAILY WAGE for unskilled labor in Mexico is about 75 Mexican pesos. So let's do the math shall we?

If you pay a Mexican $12.00 per hour that equals 156 Mexican pesos or TWO DAYS MEXICAN WAGES for every hour he works. So if he works 8 hours a day at $12.00Hr that equals about 1250 Mexican pesos or over 3 WEEKS PAY IN MEXICO FOR EVERY DAY HE WORKS HERE. Boy if I could earn 3 weeks American wages for every day I worked in a different country I'd risk my life crossing a desert too and work as hard as I possibly could when I got there. To Mexicans working here it is the next best thing to winning the lottery.

I used to work for a company that sold equipment to Mexican power companies and the field service guys for our company told me down in Mexico the Mexicans barely work at all in the power plants and any other place of business. How hard a person works is relative to what the pay is and how hard or easy it is to get a job.
Old 05-31-2010, 09:51 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by sdk1959 View Post
Yes, you are selfish. Your only thinking OF YOUR bottom line- NOT helping a downtrodden man feed himself and his family.
Not to be an ass but when I had my business it was not a charitable organization. I did pay my hard working americans better than normal, but they were worth it and I did not have the pool of latin americans we have now.

I worried about feeding my family. Sorry but most people cannot live on what we we pay, and if that means that they need to get a second job, then so be it. As the saying goes. The world needs Ditch diggers, and guess what ditch diggers don't make 30 bucks an hour...
Old 05-31-2010, 11:55 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarcSmith View Post
Not to be an ass but when I had my business it was not a charitable organization. I did pay my hard working americans better than normal, but they were worth it and I did not have the pool of latin americans we have now.

I worried about feeding my family. Sorry but most people cannot live on what we we pay, and if that means that they need to get a second job, then so be it. As the saying goes. The world needs Ditch diggers, and guess what ditch diggers don't make 30 bucks an hour...
The point of my post is he acts like he is some charitable business helping a foreigner over an American as if somehow they are more deserving and it has nothing to do with his bottom line. It has nothing to do with paying Americans more its just that you should not expect an American to work as hard as a Mexican who EARNS 2 DAYS MEXICAN PAY FOR EVERY HOUR WORKED HERE- YES EVERY HOUR HERE.

I had tree work done in 2006. The owner had a crew of 4 Mexicans working for him. I was home at the time and got talking to one of them on his lunch break who spoke good English. He liked my house and said he owns one about the same size and lot size 3/4 acre and plans on buying another for a investment. He told me a house like mine would sell for about 600,000 pesos or about $50,000 dollars in Mexico. Now this guy looked about 25, no college education, doing unskilled and semiskilled work able to buy a nice house on his own in his early 20's on a good sized lot in a excellent area. We have college educated American couples both working professional jobs to afford a house here at a young age. And we wonder why Mexicans come here to earn money and send it back home.

Sorry, charity starts at home, then your country, then the rest of the world. But this is not charity we are talking about here but job opportunity's for Americans. I don't recall it saying anywhere in the constitution that equal opportunity is to be extended to foreigners. It's a safe bet the Founding Fathers meant equal opportunity for American citizens.
Old 05-31-2010, 01:55 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Using illegals is like a form of slavery. Big companies and rich lazy people love the cheap illegal labor. I am very pleased when illegals come back to rob the homes and businesses that hire them for low pay. In Mexico illegals are deported, yet they want to come here and stay? Quite a few businesses I know use illegal labor and pay them cash, when one gets hurt the problem seems to go away. Plenty of American citizens would do just as good a job but who wants to hire them and pay more? Anywhere that illegals are present wages drop and living costs skyrocket.