Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 05-31-2010, 09:11 PM
LawnSite Member

i would pull up to her house on my off day in my porsche and inform her that my jaguar is in the shop and if she was so inclined to do so i would teach her kids about running a business.
Old 05-31-2010, 09:27 PM
LawnSite Member

"If you would aim the mower the other way you wouldn't have to charge me for blowing."
Old 05-31-2010, 09:43 PM
LawnSite Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by abraham View Post
i just started this business 9 months ago and my advice is to advertise in your local papers place flyers in grocery stores hair salons quickie marts pizza joints laundrymats ect. i have around 60 accounts i keep the good ones and lose the bad ones i work 15 hours a day and i kick butt by keeping up with maintenance being prepared and using my time and money wisely always improve yourself your equipment your time your handling of the lawns and customers and you will succeed # 1 advertise constantly to so you will be able to only have good customers and easy lawns and let the bad customers be someone else's problem.
Thanks a lot...that was very helpful. What type of equipment should I buy? How much is advertising? Its good to finally get someone with a little insight and a head for business on this site. Any advice would be greatly appreciated.
Old 05-31-2010, 10:29 PM
LawnSite Member

i bought an ariens zoom 34 after reading internet reviews it's easy to transport,maintain,cuts well,and gets into alot of tight spaces and backyards that bigger o turns can't pass through.trimmer is an echo pas230.i bught it because it has the ability to add 13 different attachments like a pole cutter and hedge trimmer this machine will save time and money as well as allow you to add extra attachments for various jobs which will make you more money.advertise in your local paper have it read yards starting at $15 that will get people to call and obviously when you give them an estimate if their yard is worth more you charge them accordingly i cut yards up to $70 from this ad it also doesnt hurt to add exrerienced references and insured shop around through american family insurance i pay $31 a month place flyers in supermarkets laundrymats pizza shops quickie marts and use the samse technique yards starting at $15 i have @ 60 accounts and only cut 4 lawns for $15 and tey are very small success is easy as long as your willing to work your ass off stay positive and don't give up
Old 05-31-2010, 10:33 PM
LawnSite Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by abraham View Post
i bought an ariens zoom 34 after reading internet reviews it's easy to transport,maintain,cuts well,and gets into alot of tight spaces and backyards that bigger o turns can't pass through.trimmer is an echo pas230.i bught it because it has the ability to add 13 different attachments like a pole cutter and hedge trimmer this machine will save time and money as well as allow you to add extra attachments for various jobs which will make you more money.advertise in your local paper have it read yards starting at $15 that will get people to call and obviously when you give them an estimate if their yard is worth more you charge them accordingly i cut yards up to $70 from this ad it also doesnt hurt to add exrerienced references and insured shop around through american family insurance i pay $31 a month place flyers in supermarkets laundrymats pizza shops quickie marts and use the samse technique yards starting at $15 i have @ 60 accounts and only cut 4 lawns for $15 and tey are very small success is easy as long as your willing to work your ass off stay positive and don't give up
Thanks a lot. I'm gonna look into an ariens zoom. Thats a good idea to say lawns starting at $15. Then when you get there you give them the real price. Im gonna stay positive.
Old 05-31-2010, 10:39 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

"I don't feel comfortable with you pruning with me or my husband not at home. What happens if you fall off the ladder. I don't even know if you have insurance."

"I understand. If I pulled up with a lettered truck, and 2 employees, and if my name was in the phone book, would you feel differently?"

"Yes, because they have more experience."

"Go ahead and give them a call then."

Pittsburgh/Western PA Landscapers Networking Thread

For Sale Chevy truck parts
Old 06-01-2010, 03:43 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 93Chevy View Post
"I don't feel comfortable with you pruning with me or my husband not at home. What happens if you fall off the ladder. I don't even know if you have insurance."

"I understand. If I pulled up with a lettered truck, and 2 employees, and if my name was in the phone book, would you feel differently?"

"Yes, because they have more experience."

"Go ahead and give them a call then."

screw her. that means she pretty much called u because she thought she could get u for cheaper than a "company in the yellow pages!" haha whata joke. the yellow pages are a ripoff and nobody even uses them anymore. they just go online. i pay $2.99 a month to be advertised thru 100 different search engines including google+yahoo. my name pops up from anyone searching locally for a lanscaper. My advice would be to get rid of this customer. she obviously doesnt have the confidence in u or the respect u deserve.
Old 06-01-2010, 04:59 PM
LawnSite Member

things I have heard just this year

I am hiring you because my last company left the gate open and my dog got out, then he drowned in the pond down the street

I had a lady tell me after I trimmed her bushes that they looked like poodles and that if she had wanted her bushes to look like poodles she would have called a mobile pet groomer and to never cut them that way again

the best one yet this year is I had a lady fire me because I was mowing too soon after her sprinklers watered and we were "stealing/bagging up all the water she had just paid for to water her lawn" Therefore I was really just making it more expensive to water the lawn. Old ladys crack me up
2007 F-150 Boss's ride

6x12 landscaping trailer with:
2 bluebird aerators
1 bluebird power rake
2 toro 22" walk behinds
1 worldlawn 28" walk behind
1 wright stander 48"
2 stihl trimmers
2 husqvarna backpack blowers

1400 sq ft garage with tons of other misc equipment

Oh and my typing sucks because of that chick in the blue jersey and white shorts whats that ad for?
Old 06-01-2010, 06:15 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

I've had some pretty good ones my favorite has to be the guy who explained to me last year that we had to stop aerating because his kid thought the aerator was one of the monsters from transformers and was going to change into a robot and kill us all not as much a complaint as it is hilarious
Old 06-01-2010, 07:41 PM
LawnSite Member

who do you go to for 3 bucks a month advertising on the net? how well does it work for you?