Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 05-31-2010, 12:27 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

"The “Castle Doctrine” bill removes the “duty to retreat” if an individual is attacked in his or her home, vehicle, place of business or any other place he or she has a legal right to be. This legislation also states that victims may use necessary force to defend themselves against the attacker
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 05-31-2010, 12:31 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

Read section 1

http://www.defensivecarry.com/vbulle...e-statute.html
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 06-01-2010, 03:45 PM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by GrassIsGreenerLawnCare View Post
what? Shut the F UP. did u seriously just say that? what is the injured theif gonna say? ohh i was breaking into his truck and stealing his gas and i got hurt? wow. thats gotta be the dumbest thing ive ever heard right there. anyone comin on my property unwanted is gonna get hurt REAL bad by my pitbull. u can bet that.

pretty sad if cops wont do anything to the people stealin but will harrass u about setting traps!
Yes I just said that. Yes, that is exactly what he is going to say and you will be liable for his injuries. Do you really think a thief cares that he might be charged with burglary when his attorney is gonna rape you for big bucks? And yes, you will probably be harassed by the man and arrested since in most states it is considered a FELONY to set bobby traps that cause injury.

Here is the legal definition for you:

"A booby trap may be defined as any concealed or camouflaged device designed to cause bodily injury when triggered by any action of a person making contact with the device. This term includes guns, ammunition, or explosive devices attached to trip wires or other triggering mechanisms, sharpened stakes, nails, spikes, electrical devices, lines or wires with hooks attached, and devices for the production of toxic fumes or gases.

If a person sets up such a trap to protect his/her property, he/she will be liable for any injury or death even to an unwanted intruder such as a burglar. It is illegal to set a booby trap on one's own property to prevent intruders.

Case law: Katko v. Briney

Last edited by laxman3221; 06-01-2010 at 03:53 PM.
Old 06-01-2010, 05:44 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

A bear trap is not a booby trap...it was set to catch coyotes, it just so happens a thief was captured instead.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 06-01-2010, 06:06 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

^ Yeah I totally agree!! LMAO

Old 06-01-2010, 06:11 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by C & T Landscaping View Post
^ Yeah I totally agree!! LMAO
Total accident...wrong place at the wrong time.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 06-01-2010, 08:45 PM
LawnSite Member

^keeping lawyers well feed since 1971
Old 06-01-2010, 09:42 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

A friend has been having a lot of problems with fuel being stolen from his truck. So tall rick decided to mix up an extra special batch. Junk gas with butyl alcohol, veggie oil, waste hydraulic oil and a touch of lye for good measure. My friend was running his truck from a fuel tank hidden in the truck tool box. Turns out that a neighbor had some mysterious truck troubles. Oh so sad, he has to have a shop remove the fuel tanks, and the injectors are not feeling too well. The diesel dixie chopper is also mysteriously out of service. Oh my, what terrible luck. I am against the razor blade fuel caps but shooting a theif who threatens one's life is perfectly fine. Either special fuel or a high voltage experience is my style. The high voltage excitement is also so special because once disconnected, it is impossible to trace. A good friend used it to stop the metal grabbers. They stole his awnings and tried to steal the carport. Rebolting the carport with plastic washers and a nylon column bases allowed a fine 480V transformer to be connected by clip to a wire inside the home. No more metal grabbers in the area.
Old 06-02-2010, 12:34 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by laxman3221 View Post

If a person sets up such a trap to protect his/her property, he/she will be liable for any injury or death even to an unwanted intruder such as a burglar. It is illegal to set a booby trap on one's own property to prevent intruders.

Case law: Katko v. Briney
So you set up something without the intention (wink, wink) of it being a trap to protect property from intruders. Be creative. Plant some blackberries. They are extremely thorny and will grow quite dense. What police officer is going to contest something as innocent as berries? I mean, really.

Simplicity is the ultimate sophistication. --Leonardo da Vinci

http://integritylawnpro.com
Old 06-02-2010, 09:58 AM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chilehead View Post
So you set up something without the intention (wink, wink) of it being a trap to protect property from intruders. Be creative. Plant some blackberries. They are extremely thorny and will grow quite dense. What police officer is going to contest something as innocent as berries? I mean, really.

Planting a bush isn't a booby trap. In fact many security consultants recommend thorny bushes under windows or near fences.

Razor blades, electricity and so on is asking for trouble over some gas.